E10: Maximum users exceeded on license type (EDD Issue)

@Edge @bconner
Stephen / Brian,
Tech Support is still telling us to use Classic View, which isn’t helpful. It’s been over a month now since we reported this issue, and we still don’t have a usable workaround. I have asked our CAM (Bryant Chow) about the temp licenses, and this is the response I got this morning:
In the process of trying to get the temp users. It’s unfortunately a longer process than I anticipated.
Are you able to expedite this process? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

@Edge @bconner
So it looks like the original issue may have been resolved by the 10.2.600.4 release (users were getting kicked out at five licenses consumed, when we had 18 available), but we are still having licensing issues.

The current issue is as follows:
We have a user with one Epicor Smart Client app windows open, and one EDD window open in a browser tab (Chrome). The “Maximum users exceeded” message comes up again, and not only kicks everyone out of the system, it also breaks our integration with our web store, meaning sales orders are not pushed into Epicor. When you check Session Management, it shows fourteen licenses being consumed by the one user mentioned above.

This is incredibly frustrating. We have never received the trial licenses that we have asked for, and everyone is being kicked out of the system on a regular basis. We will continue to try to escalate this, but I wanted to keep the community in the loop in case anyone else is experiencing this issue.

1 Like

So we finally got our trial licenses (eight) recently, but it doesn’t fully address the issues. We spent a bunch of time yesterday doing testing, with highly inconsistent results.

So far, we have identified numerous issues, most of which are discrete but related:

1. Session teardown (which feeds into license tracking) appears to be fundamentally broken, and does not report usage accurately. EDD sessions are not reflected as terminated, even after a log out of EDD and complete closure of the browser.
  2. License usage tracking counts two licenses per user when using EDD. As a built-in part of Epicor E10 functionality (with an icon on the sidebar menu), use of EDD should not consume an additional license.
  3. The “allow multiple sessions” flag on users does not perform as expected, based on our understanding and the provided documentation. Disabling it does not prevent multiple sessions per user (proven through testing). We were hoping it would resolve the license consumption issue, but it does not.
  4. License usage tracking has a bug of some sort, where it does not track logged in users as expected.
  5. The original issue of EDD consuming eight additional licenses per user still exists, but is intermittent and inconsistent.

I have requested an escalation (again), and will try to keep this thread updated as we move through these issues.

1 Like

Update on this for anyone that is following this thread, or may trip across it…

First, thanks to @bconner and his team for all the help working through this - I know they have struggled with nailing down all the various places these license consumption issues are coming from.

To address the points above:

1. There is an idle timeout hard-coded to 15 minutes for session cleanup, and a per-user setting (License Timeout Minutes) to override this, to ensure specific users are not kicked out because of an idle session.

2. This has been resolved in the current SaaS build. If you are encountering this issue with on-prem, I would suggest you contact support to get an update, as I am not sure if this fix is in a full build, or a hotfix.

3. Not really sure where we wound up on this. It kind of got lost in the shuffle.

4. I believe this is addressed in point 1.

5. This has also been resolved in the current SaaS build.

There are some remaining minor, intermittent license consumption issues, and we are working with Brian and his team to try and get these nailed down as well.

Hoping this helps someone - it has been a long and painful road for us.

As a side note, I have added an Epicor Ideas suggestion for peak license usage tracking that would have been extremely useful in troubleshooting this issue: Log In - Epicor Identity. If you want to see some of the discussion around license usage tracking, see these posts:

1 Like

We just went live with an On-Prem installation and are having the same problem. I cannot find the proper json file nor even a specific a data discovery folder. I find sysconfig files in the subfolders of C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ERP10\Server\Apps, but none of these appear to be the right ones. Where should I be looking? Thanks

Mine is located here:

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Data Discovery\UI\sysconfig.json

Dragging this back up. We upgraded from 10.2.400 to 10.2.600.16 a few weeks back. We had the license issue on 400 but it went away after one of the 400 updates. It’s now back and worse in 10.2.600.16. A user will consume 20-30 licenses at times. I assume EDD is causing it. Reading through this it sounds like they were going to fix this in 10.2.500. Anyone else seeing this issue in 10.2.600.16?

1 Like

@chaddb From my notes, we opened this ticket when we were on 10.2.500.10, and it was resolved with whatever cloud release was live by July 15, 2020. I can’t find the release version for that date - the problem resolution (PRB0224627) shows “3.2.700” (https://epicorcs.service-now.com/u_task_communication.do?sys_id=9c10aa70db6998547a572a9b8a9619c4). @bconner? Brian Conner was the lead on helping us get this sorted.

We are on-prem and still experience the issue whenever a user logs on to Epicor Data Discovery. Epicor will create additional logins that consume all available licenses and lock everyone else out of the system. I put this case in quite some time ago and, after several months, was told it would be fixed with an upgrade to 10.2.700. Well, we did the upgrade this weekend and the problem is exactly the same and, now that we’ve spent thousands of dollars working through the upgrade, even more frustrating.

I’ve just stumbled upon the same issue - licenses being “consumed” when using EDD. We’re at 10.2.500, on-prem and use the “modern” or “classic” - nobody is ActiveX yet. We’re working toward ActiveX and using EDD and I’ve been “playing” on the live environment to see what I can do to build out some custom dashboards. I hear back from the functional community after a while that they are getting the max license error. I closed out of all of my Epicor sessions, went into the administration console and checked for sessions. I personally had about a dozen licenses showing as “in use” which was causing the issue even though I was totally logged out of Epicor. After a bit I closed out of the admin session and jumped back in and I was left with only two sessions “in use” - the rest freed up. After a while I refreshed and those last two disappeared. My take is that once you initiate a EDD session it locks up a license (or more?) until some time after you are totally out of EDD. If you have an ActiveX session open and jump to EDD it locks up a license, close out and go back into EDD it locks another license, close out of that session and go back into EDD it locks yet another license and doesn’t release them a period of time after you have completely closed out of your Epicor ActiveX session.

In reading this chain I’m not sure if there is/was a fix/workaround, at which level, etc.