Handheld Scanners

@hmwillett did you also have to patch the RDP Application due to the HI_RES_AWARE bug?

We ended installing an older version of RDP in order for the handheld client to show as full screen.
Is that what you’re referring to?

Yes, likewise; Would be nice if Epicor would make their Applications send the HI_RES signal.

3 Likes

I’m working on designing an Android app using Xamarin and REST, so I don’t need to use RDP.
It’s slow going, though, since it’s a pet project.

By the way @hmwillett and @askulte Handheld Menu HI_RES_AWARE - Feature Requests and Suggestions - Epicor User Help Forum #upvote

Jose also mention Kinetic might have a new HH Menu

1 Like

Yes, the handheld requirements are bonkers. Why wouldn’t EPICOR spend the time to actually develop an app or a smaller version that could make things easier. There’s very little reason a full blown mini pc should be required to do what handheld does.

Please let me know when you’ve got it to a good point to test!

I’ve got Part Tracker and PO Receipt working so far.
Working on Inventory Transfer and Move WIP next.

(I ended up reducing the size of that part description box and making it scrollable to show more of the on hand grid)

4 Likes

There is a company in Australia that has an Android app for E10
Here’s the link https://www.biscit.com.au/mobile-handheld/

Hi Simon,

We had a meeting with Epicor UK yesterday and they said about BiscIT, we have a demo next week.

Chris

1 Like

Looks nice. Wish I knew about that back when I started researching handheld solutions.
The perk of me doing my own is it’s 100% customizable and doesn’t cost the company any additional money.

I agree wholeheartedly, if you have the time and resources it makes sense.

Not to mention it helps with the upgrade pain.

@hmwillett - Do you have any advice on how to get our CN80 to pickup our CODE93 Serial numbers in Epicor Mobile Warehouse?

Sorry–I don’t use EMW, so I can’t comment on that.
As far as the CK80, you should be able to go to Settings > Scanner Settings > Internal > Data Processing > Symbology (or some variation thereof).
Make sure CODE93 is selected as an option.

Fantastic Aaron!!
Did you use Xamarin and REST?
If so I am thinking of starting down this route - would you be able to share and code / tips / setup?
Thanks

Mark

1 Like

You’ll want to look at this thread.

2 Likes

Yes, it uses Xamarin and REST.
In addition to Simon’s link, my biggest tip is to design everything in updateable BAQs and just use Xamarin for the GUI and to use REST to call the BAQs.
This makes it super easy to do upgrades and make any changes. Anything you change in the UBAQ immediately effects the way the app works. If you did all of the stuff within Xamarin, you would need to redeploy the APK every time you changed something. I have to give credit to @rbucek for that one; he came up with the idea and presented it at one of the local user groups and I borrowed it for my implementation.
Some other tips:

1. Start Small. Get your app to make a simple call and display the data. Then do a little more; have it push data back. Then keep expanding.
  2. Look into the MVVM model for design. It will keep things tidy.
  3. Don’t hardcode anything. This sounds obvious, but when I started, I was hardcoding labels which sounds fine. Well, we ended up buying a facility in Mexico that wanted to use it and now the labels had to be multilingual. This required looking up the value in a resource table based on the user’s locale. Additionally, I hardcoded the colors. Well, halfway through the project, I didn’t like them anymore, lol. I ended up making them dynamic by adding them to the app resources and looking them up. That way, if I decide to change again, I only have to change it in the app resource file and it changes the entire app.
  4. Login is a pain and I don’t recommend the direction I went. You should research into sessions and stuff of that nature.

I started playing around with a new version using Angular and it’s a loooot nicer. You might start there, but I can’t give you advice on that one as I haven’t gotten very far; got bogged down with real work, lol.

Hope that helps. Feel free to DM me if you have specific questions.

2 Likes

Yes!!! Go this way it’s a lot nicer and is just JavaScript and html
As much as I love c# and Microsoft

Xamarin is so fragile ! ( the environment )

2 Likes

Thanks for this - much appreciated. I’ll start some evening reading!

I know I’m slow on realising this - but just found out there is an MES Lite - is this web based? If so this might negate the need to create anything or buy anything else?
If it is web based anyone know how I go about accessing it?

Thanks

mark