How to correctly set up Database link after saving E9 Crystal Report in E10

I have a Crystal Report that is working in E9. I wanted to move it over to E10, so I thought I would just load it from the E9 server path into SAP Crystal Reports 2013, then save it to the E10 server path. However, when I try to run the report, I get a “Database Login” dialog box popping up. I tried entering the MSSQL credentials, but it rejects them.

I found this thread which seems to suggest that the problem is that the database isn’t properly linked. When I try to “verify database” in Crystal, it pops up asking me for a file path to an XML file for the report in question. My understanding is that these files are from users running the report before. But this report has never been run in E10 before! If I try to use the XML from a report running in E9 it tells me that the database is up to date, but then still prompts me for a password!

How do I finish setting up this report so it will run properly in E10?

Even with a “broken” rpt file, the xml will still be generated. Run the report in E10. It wont succeed, but will generate the XML.

Then use SAP to open your report and update the data source by selecting the XML generated above.

If the XML isn’t generated, make a “blank” rpt file and temporarily set the report style to use that. That should allow the XML to be generated.

1 Like