How to tell what parent configurator called the subconfigurator.. anyone know?

We have a subconfigurator for an attribute that is used in many subassemblies for a configurable part. We need to know what assembly called the subconfigurator.

For example, we are configuring Part A. Part A has 3 subassemblies B,C, and D. Inside B,C, and D we have the same subconfigurator, “Config-Finish”. When I am in the subconfigurator, is there any way to tell whether it was B C or D that launched it?

Thanks in advance for any input. If I am not explaining myself clearly, please let me know and I will try to clarify.

Sounds like you’re trying to pass information from B, C, or D to Config-Finish. Where is Finish determined? In A? Or is the Finish different based on the B, C, D?

Have you considered using Global Input Variables? You would set an input to the name of the calling assembly and then Config-Finish SHOULD be able to read it. It’s been awhile since I used Global Input Vars but it might be worth a look.

Mark W.

The value can be different in B C and D and we are trying to change the label/title of the subconfigurator based on what it was called from. So we don’t want to use the same global variable.

For example D Finish configurator, C Finish configurator… instead of it always being Finish Subconfigurator.

I tend to stay away from the global variables and use a table, UD or what have you, to store this information. You can end up doing a lot more with it in an easier way.

1 Like