Insights 2023 - After Action Report

Along those lines,

I’ve asked for triggers/scripts/ubaq bpms to be able to schedule with these actions.

Basically a way to run user configuration tasks (limited?) upon database refresh, as
part of the process.

You could example set fields, turn off services, bpms, integrations via a configurable way.

I hope they bite, I think it would be very useful, and save a lot of steps.

1 Like

I heard some murmerings on that, but must have missed the big picture.

ELI5?

Main one for me is getting Kinetic to the point that it is useable which it looks like 2023 is the year that might actually be possible.

Now the hard part - moving the customizations over (after the upgrade).

Some customer led sessions on the cool stuff done with Kinetic will be great once people are on it.

1 Like

I saw GitOps in the presentation, so it might be a natural place to put in a GitHub Action for user commands.

You can now schedule rules to run every x that automatically allocate and release orders/jobs for picking / packing and shipping driven via BAQ

It is pretty sleek

4 Likes

Yes the Auto Allocations is an amazing new feature, and if done correctly, it virtually eliminates the need to go into the fulfillment workbench on a daily basis.
You can create a script of things to do on a regular basis that would automate what you normally do manually in FWB.
For example, I have had customers who manually:

1. select all orders for critical customers, and allocate/pick
  2. On Monday select all orders for “wednesday” Consolidated truck to get it allocated and picked for shipment.
  3. Select all lower priority customers and have them allocated/picked

The above can all be loaded into the script and automated so that every week, day, hour a new set of criteria can be selected and allocated, picked, deallocated, etc.

Also, this can all be driven by your own BAQs which was much harder in the FWB to do… so you can create a BAQ that selects and prioritizes customer shipments which is then used by the Auto Fulfill process to do its processing.

AND this new feature comes at no additional cost if you already have the fulfillment workbench.

7 Likes

It’s a super well thought out enhancement.

Honestly, it’s either the Customer-Led or the Discussion panels, all in all, I was very disappointed in the Epicor-led sessions, especially the advanced sessions.

It is possible that they are reaching the majority of their audience with these rather basic classes but they seem to be missing the vast majority of IT professionals with their rudimentary Epicor-led offerings.

Maybe I’ll do an “Actually Advanced” App Studio session next year
:sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I’ll go from being bored to lost again. Fantastic.

1:10 PM: Screening for Actually Advanced App Studio
2:10 PM: Actually Advanced App Studio

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. :stuck_out_tongue:

You would need a few of these in your slide deck.

This is your brain while programming Kinetic for the first time. No worries though, it does get better.

This Is Your Brain On Drugs GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

2 Likes

100%. They should either do a separate developer conference or have a separate track with relevant content. I found all of the epicor - led sessions to be non-value add this year.

Please do. I would be thrilled if you taught a class, any class.

1 Like

For better or worse, I think they’re pretty happy with the level of those classes.
A LOT of the audience is either non-technical people that wanna pick up some side skills or new customers that are seeing this stuff for the very first time.

I’m sure I’m not the only one that’s been pestering them for more hardcore content over the years. We’ve seen some minor concessions, but I think they just don’t see value in catering to the noisy hackers. Plus, anything that comes out of Epicor’s mouth ends up being something they have to support, caveats and safe harbor statements be damned. They just don’t want a buncha customers calling in with problems related to some code snippet they got at Insights or some undocumented ‘feature’ they cajoled out of a random dev.

I suspect we’ll have to continue relying on customers (and those damn consultants!) for the down and dirty stuff.

5 Likes

The Customer-Led sessions have been the best for experienced Epicor users. As @Waffqle_De_LaCroix says, the Epicor led ones are more geared to new or prospective Epicor customers.

Auto-Allocate seems like a great feature we’ll have to explore more here.

A few I wrote down:

• You can use Ctrl-K to open a “command prompt” and search the menu tree. As well as enable debug and likely more.
  • There is a Chrome plug in, “Resource Downloader” that gets you the JSON loaded in a windows. SaaS customers can now see Kinetic metafx files for troubleshooting.
  • From @timshuwy; When making BAQs for Dashboards with Publish/Subscribe grids use SysRowID as it’s indexed. This should make the Dashboard/BAQs faster.
7 Likes

What do these do? Are they in the help?

1 Like

They’re just ways of accessing things.

The first two, if that’s what you’re referencing, dumps the views to Dev Tools and the second turns on debugging. Same thing as CTRL+ALT+V and CTRL+ALT+8.

Y’all act like this wasn’t shown to you back in March. :stuck_out_tongue: Come on!

Kinetic Web UI Command Palette - Kinetic 202X - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)

1 Like