Kinetic is the New Name for Epicor ERP

Started looking for a post on this earlier, turned my back for a second, “Blam” it’s gone off like milk on a hot day!

The logo was finally going to be an E and they changed the name. Blue circle club it is, then!

ERP cloudy 11?

The usual response to my “it doesn’t work in kinetic 10.2.700.x” feedback is “It’s working in 11.1”. I’ve pretty much given up on testing Kinetic in 10.2.700, seems a waste of my time if it won’t be fixed in 10.2.700, and all the feedback response is “it’s fixed in 11”. I’ll wait…

what he said! Have many clients that are just in “wait and see” mode on Kinetic. It’s a shame as the Active Home Page and EDD are almost useful now!

1 Like

Kinetic (UI) was mostly preview in 700 I wouldn’t sweat it (or use it) until 11 in a production setting.

We gave them a TON of feedback in the preview program that they all mostly took to heart and implemented in 11.

I suspect people will be much happier in 11, (though the cheese is still getting moved)

5 Likes

Maybe now recruiters looking for Epic consultants will finally stop spamming me…

as in the health care charting software?

We also still use the Classic interface so you are not alone.

OMG yes. Thing is; a friend of mine was on the implementation team of the Epic system for the hospital she works at. Looking at what they are doing is very reminiscent of Epicor. Almost like just replace “Widgets” in the Epicor documentation with “Patients” :wink:

Yeah, My wife is a nurse, and they use Epic. It’s just ERP for hospitals. I always thought it was interesting/annoying that the names were so close.

1 Like

You can spend a Fortnite at other Epic companies:

3 Likes

Interesting feedback! We were planning to go to 10.2.700 here soon from 10.2.400. Do you think it’d be better to hold off and wait for the 11 release?
I also haven’t worked with the Active Home Page much, so I was thinking .700 would be a good stepping stone.

We’ll be upgrading from .500 to .700 in June. While I see what Andris is saying about Kinetic forms, we’d like the non-Kinetic fixes and to stay in the support window for a bit longer.

2 Likes

@jnbadger @Mark_Wonsil - We upgrade to the current version once a year in February. The thinking is that some bugs are fixed (but often just as many are introduced - For example, If you use publish and subscribe on 10.2.700, Sales Order Tracker shows the 1st link’s shipto contact on the 2nd+ form, and Epicor has no plans to fix that in .700 as stated in my EpiCare case).

We do get the new tools, and if there are urgent fixes, it gets addresses first on the current version. Too bad we can’t see the list of problems that haven’t been fixed in that version before deciding to upgrade.

Kinetic seems inevitable, and I wanted to start migrating us over to the Kinetic forms throughout this year, before we upgrade to 11 next February. I figured that would make the 11 upgrade easier, and give us a year to migrate our heavily customized forms. If you can live with the .700 bugs, then I would upgrade. It’ll give you time to get comfortable with the technology used in 11 (Kinetic Application Studio, Functions) and get migrations figured out is my thought…

I’m very curious what the stance will be on existing customizations. Will we be forced to go to kinetic every screen, and will have to redo our UI customizations? Or will the forms still run and be grandfathered in, but won’t get new features? That would make the upgrade much simpler, and speed up E11/Kinetic adoption, but slow down adopting the new forms/UI within the application.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

2 Likes

This is our approach - the expectation for upgrading customers is your users can continue to work as before (in the smart client with the existing forms and customization’s) but the new UI is available so after upgrading it makes sense to put in place an adoption plan on your own timeline. For many users it should be very familiar but faster and less to manage.

1 Like

We’re finishing up .700 testing, and based on next week’s feedback we’ll either implement a week from Sunday or a month out (carefully avoiding any month-end drama). We’re at .400, and have a few issues resolved through .700 so the upgrade makes sense on its own. .700 is a good testing playground, but doesn’t have enough Kinetic working to implement in live production.

1 Like

@Edge Any chance you will release architecture guidance? For example will E11 / Kinetic now support Azure SQL as a Service? Also, will it support caching the Angular apps with a CDN?

2 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

It’s officially - Epicor Kinetic 2021.1

https://epicweb.epicor.com/Support/EpicorCloudERP/Pages/Introducing-E11.aspx

4 Likes