This post may not be what you expect it to be about. We use MES here a lot, but not for job production at all (though we are looking into that). I actually use MES every day and I am a security manager. It’s more powerful than you think.
Today our users on MES use the old all-gray version. Everyone hates it.
But the new Kinetic MES (10.2.400 and up) is a big leap forward.
Here is my home screen. You’ll notice there are BAQ grids and links to the BAQ designer and accounting screens. (Orange boxes are me blocking sensitive info.)
And actually all I did was import my normal home-screen layout, but you can create from scratch, too.
And I checked - a lot - this still uses a data collection license.
How to get to this screen
It’s just a special shortcut. Copy any shortcut to Epicor. In properties, the end of the target is
Old vs. new
- No need for the config change on every client and adding a menu item to Epicor. It’s just a layout. Publish it from the settings page when you (a security manager) are logged in to MES
- In the new MES, you can open any screen in Epicor; the old version was limited.
- Caveat to this: in the new MES, those limits do still apply to Open With menus. (Basically you can still get to tracker versions of everything, plus you can get to PO entry, order entry, and any dashboard or BAQ report you made)
Kinetic MES vs regular full version of Epicor
- There is no menu on the left (so there’s no recents list, either)
- There is no search bar
- The only way to edit the layout is if you are a security manager. Yep, that was a heartbreaker. So I have to publish layouts for others to use and they can never edit them.
- An ordinary user cannot change her layout from the drop-down,on the main screen, as far as I can tell, but she can change it in settings.
Sure, you can make dashboards for MES users, but the Kinetic option opens up the ability to do something like this. I made this for sales. It’s a BAQ grid of all the parts in that site, with filters.Yes, I know, a dashboard can have filters. But this is WAY better because:
- It’s MUCH faster. It responds instantly.
- The filter boxes are right there. Just click and start typing.
- You can do partial description searches, even the middle of a word. I did “ydra” for “hydraulic” in the pic.
- It’s right on the home screen. No waiting for a screen to load.
Also, there is a web version (not through EWA), but it is not customizable at all and very limited. You access it with
There is a good discussion of it here.