Lot Tracing

Hello All,

We have a job for a part that was make to inventory. Then we shipped against a sales order release for that part.

The job receipt had a lot number.

Also included in that job were all the material components which had a stk-mtl transaction along with a lot number.

Is there not a native report that gives this full history of all the materials and lots that were used for an end product?

Thanks in advance. Very new to lot tracking.

I think you could use Job Tacker, Material Transactions, to see what you want. You may have to adjust the columns and/or show the Lot column if it’s not there by default.

The Production Detail report, with ‘print material transactions’ option, would be the only canned out of the box report that may show Lot numbers.

Thanks Mike, that is what I gathered from the quality group today.

A lot of jotting down numbers or opening many trackers, etc…

Still working through the lot tracking process with them.

No problem! Really, I would build them a dashboard and add a report pane to it if they need to print it.

We’re working on how to create Certificates of Compliance that list the Lot/Heat/Supplier information when printing a packslip (using APR and auto-print reports) and email it to the recipient, which means backtracking job material transactions back through the receipt/PO/Vendor records as well.

I’ve been mentally developing the SQL query but haven’t gotten anything concrete yet, but the core of mine is the same query you need.

That is a lot of mental development! Yes I would agree that the core of yours is what I am also mentally developing.

That is why I was hoping there would be one user on here that has formulated something of the sort because I would bet it isn’t just me and you who would like to visualize or use lot tracking data this way.

Thanks Mike for your contribution. I will let you know if I get onto something cool using a dashboard or report.

-Utah

I will second what Mike said. We had the same issue as you with QA feeling too many steps were involved and it was impacting mock recall times which are required for some of our certifications. If it is just a single or a couple jobs you need to look at the Job Tracker JobDetails -> Assemblies-> Transactions tab will get you an all in one view with lot numbers. I group mine by date and tran type for ease.

At their request I also built a couple dashboards. One called part trace that tracks the transactions and OH status for the part made (or material if the issue is with a specific lot of material). And one that shows the Transactions for the job. Not perfect, but between these two they can usually pretty quickly get the info they need.

1 Like

@Norelco2 this is sweet!

I see in your raw material trace you supplied job 013251. In that trace I see that you have a part called PTVCA that came from Job F013232. Our quality is asking that the trace also include all of the materials and lots that went into job F013232 in the same dashboard. Do your quality people ever need that? Is it already there and I am not seeing it?

It is not but could be, our issue is we have a lot of like parts that carryforward from job to job without a clear cutoff at times. When I blasted out the dashboard to the next level it ended up returning dozens of jobs and all their transactions so wasn’t a manageable amount of data to view at once. They normally just export the results to excel, put the new lot number (which equals the job number on our site), refresh, rinse and repeat.

@utaylor We had a consultant create a lot tracking dashboard for this very reason. We have many jobs where a molded part gets made and put into inventory but is considered ‘WIP’ by us until the next processes are done to it. To lot track back to find out the resin used in the molded part was a bit of a nightmare even though the ‘WIP’ part was a material in the next job. Some of our parts have several processes that happen to it to make it a finished saleable part, ie Pad Printing, over-molding, heat staking, etc.

In our case (instruments for explosive atmospheres), the need to lot trace would normally start at the raw materials or sub-assemblies, and need to show the S/N of every finished part that used the part/lot in question.

For example,

• A specific PCB is lot controlled and tied to the vendors lot number on their C of C
  • The sub-assembly the PCB goes into is lot controlled
  • The finished goods item uses that lot controlled sub-assembly, is S/N controlled.

So if the vendor of that PCB informed us that lot XYZ of the pcb’s they supplied might not have met specs, we need to be able to find the orders that any finished good that used those parts.

Regardless of whether you’re starting with the components’ lot, or the finished goods lot or SN, you need to have a dynamic BAQ for the undetermined number of layers between the two. Like a multi-level BOM works.

Right Calvin, exactly!

Regardless of whether you’re starting with the components’ lot, or the finished goods lot or SN, you need to have a dynamic BAQ for the undetermined number of layers between the two. Like a multi-level BOM works.

That is what I am trying to formulate :thinking: except a multilayer BOM has parent child fields in the dataset I believe which is nice when trying to identify the relationships.

Lucky for us, we only have one assembly!!

1 Like

The relations ships would be the job numbers.

Finding the FG’s that used raw material of a specific part/lot combo.

• Job #'s where PartTrans of type STK-MTL where were for the part/lot
  • Job #'s where the above Job was received to to this job. (wash, rinse and repeat)
  • FG S/N’s where job(s) from above were issued to the job that made the S/N.

The part that will take som thought is that the next or previous level might have been a lot controlled part coming for inventory, a lot controlled sub-assy, or the FG part.

And one thing to consider when setting up your lot tracing requirements, is the cost of the lot controls over the cost of just having to cast a wider net when determining what might need to be recalled.

If we make 1000 of a finished good, and one of the lot controlled parts was actually supplied by three different Lots (A, B, & C), and Lot C ended up being out of spec. It might be cheaper to recall all 1000 items, than the time spent tracking which of the 1000 were made with Lot C.

I mean individual band-aids aren’t serialized are they?

And if it turns out that recalling all 1000 of the FG’s would be cost prohibitive, then the job to make them needs to be split such that only components of the same lot are used. And each of those split jobs then would have a separate lot number.

I agree, they do that analysis now.

As for this:

Job #'s where the above Job was received to to this job. (wash, rinse and repeat)

and this:

The part that will take som thought is that the next or previous level might have been a lot controlled part coming for inventory, a lot controlled sub-assy, or the FG part.

That is the hard part for me to write at this point. Will have to spend some time on it.

I’ll let you know if I come up with anything.

-Utah

What version of E10 are you on? We are on 10.2.7 and don’t have any “trace” results in our menu search