MOM / Job / Scheduling question

Rick,

Thanks for the info. I was familiar with the send ahead functionality as well as the start to start etc. I was going to use finish to finish for later secondary OPs. Good advice but I still can't figure out how to structure and schedule this without getting overly complex.

For instance, I was hoping not to have to make different operation steps for each layer like:

OP 10 - Machine 1st layer (unattended machining 16 hours)
OP 20 - Cut off first layer (1 hour labor for 100 pieces)
OP 30 - Machine 2nd layer (unattended machining 16 hours)
OP 40 - Cut off 2nd layer (1 hour labor for 100 pieces)
etc. x10

It looks like Qty per Parent at the Operation might get me closer to simplification but the operation is still an interrupted one with unpredictable downtime waiting for the operator to dedicate to spending an hour cutting off a layer.

I see how the send ahead will work for moving to another machine for the next secondary operation but those operations actually run much faster than the primary one so I can't see that helping me much.

The only thing I can think of that helps at all for scheduling is to make the resource calendar be a 16 hour day when in fact the unattended machining will run past the 16th hour in a day but then remain idle until an operator can cut the layer off the following morning. Gonna drive the OEE people nuts.

Greg

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "that_guyy" <rbird@...> wrote:
>
> Greg,
> After reading this, a lot of things are in my head, and I think there are a lot of ways to structure the Job to reflect what you are doing.
> The best advice I was ever given with Job structure is to tell the system EXACTLY how you do it. In version 9 Epicor added a much wanted feature that I think is the key to your scheduling issue.
> Take a look at the 'Send Ahead' fields and options.
> If I understand your example properly, you may have a job to make 1000 parts and the milling machine can make 100 parts per cycle, though it can get 1000 parts from one block, so you need 10 cycles per Job. If so, you can set your Send Ahead type to 'Pieces' and your Send Ahead Offset to 100. This says that the operation can release 100 pieces at a time, and it allows overlap between this operation and the next, that way your Job's estimated Finish time is much more accurate... Otherwise the schedule assumes that each operation must complete the full qty before any qty can advance to the next operation. I think to do this right you will need to set the operation following your Milling operation to be Start-to-Start, so that it can leverage the send ahead qty. Read over and understand the difference between Start-To-Start, Finish-To-Start and Finish-To-Finish and how they describe the relationships between the operations.
> If no one has told you yet, make use of the Field Help and application help and the technical reference guides, over the last 5 years I have noticed the documentation getting better and better. Field help (from the help menu) will show you a fields functionality when you select the field.
>
> If you have any questions, let me know.
> Hope this helps.
>
> -Rick Bird
> IT Software Administrator
> Rowmark, LLC.
> 9.05.700B2
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "greg_clauser" <gclauser@> wrote:
> >
> > Looking for some advice/ideas on how to handle kind of an untraditional manufacturing process. We are on 9.05.700B and have purchased but not yet implemented the Advanced Scheduling Module as well as AMM so I guess we don't lack for tools.
> >
> > I have a primary machining operation on a 3 axis mill. We place a large block of (lot controlled) aluminum (approx 30"L x 24"W x 18"H) in the machine and machine as many as 100 parts per approx 1" deep layer of the block.
> >
> > This is an unattended machining step that can take anywhere from 12 to 18 hours (after first piece OK) but these 100 parts are left attached to the block by a small web. We run two shifts but these machines will run through the night unattended until the layer completes which could be anywhere from 1AM to maybe 6AM.
> >
> > Machines will remain idle until the last piece machined is cut from the block and inspected. Once this last (layer) piece is approved, an operator is assigned to run the machine for about an hour as the machine slices the webs holding the parts to the block row by row so he can remove each row of parts before the machine can slice the next row free.
> >
> > Once all parts in the layer are removed, he will start the 12 to 18 hour unattended maching cycle all over again for the machining of another 100 piece layer (or partial layer).
> >
> > Right now, all of this is combined in the first operation as simply "Primary Milling OP" for Jobs of perhaps 1,000 pieces or so. After this primary OP, the parts are hand loaded into other operator attended machines for various secondary machining OPs.
> >
> > It's not really too difficult to keep track of labor but figuring out how to structure MOM's, Job's, Resources, etc. for accurate scheduling has me stumped.
> >
> > Any ideas or advice?
> >
> > Greg
> >
>
1 Like
Looking for some advice/ideas on how to handle kind of an untraditional manufacturing process. We are on 9.05.700B and have purchased but not yet implemented the Advanced Scheduling Module as well as AMM so I guess we don't lack for tools.

I have a primary machining operation on a 3 axis mill. We place a large block of (lot controlled) aluminum (approx 30"L x 24"W x 18"H) in the machine and machine as many as 100 parts per approx 1" deep layer of the block.

This is an unattended machining step that can take anywhere from 12 to 18 hours (after first piece OK) but these 100 parts are left attached to the block by a small web. We run two shifts but these machines will run through the night unattended until the layer completes which could be anywhere from 1AM to maybe 6AM.

Machines will remain idle until the last piece machined is cut from the block and inspected. Once this last (layer) piece is approved, an operator is assigned to run the machine for about an hour as the machine slices the webs holding the parts to the block row by row so he can remove each row of parts before the machine can slice the next row free.

Once all parts in the layer are removed, he will start the 12 to 18 hour unattended maching cycle all over again for the machining of another 100 piece layer (or partial layer).

Right now, all of this is combined in the first operation as simply "Primary Milling OP" for Jobs of perhaps 1,000 pieces or so. After this primary OP, the parts are hand loaded into other operator attended machines for various secondary machining OPs.

It's not really too difficult to keep track of labor but figuring out how to structure MOM's, Job's, Resources, etc. for accurate scheduling has me stumped.

Any ideas or advice?

Greg
Greg,
After reading this, a lot of things are in my head, and I think there are a lot of ways to structure the Job to reflect what you are doing.
The best advice I was ever given with Job structure is to tell the system EXACTLY how you do it. In version 9 Epicor added a much wanted feature that I think is the key to your scheduling issue.
Take a look at the 'Send Ahead' fields and options.
If I understand your example properly, you may have a job to make 1000 parts and the milling machine can make 100 parts per cycle, though it can get 1000 parts from one block, so you need 10 cycles per Job. If so, you can set your Send Ahead type to 'Pieces' and your Send Ahead Offset to 100. This says that the operation can release 100 pieces at a time, and it allows overlap between this operation and the next, that way your Job's estimated Finish time is much more accurate... Otherwise the schedule assumes that each operation must complete the full qty before any qty can advance to the next operation. I think to do this right you will need to set the operation following your Milling operation to be Start-to-Start, so that it can leverage the send ahead qty. Read over and understand the difference between Start-To-Start, Finish-To-Start and Finish-To-Finish and how they describe the relationships between the operations.
If no one has told you yet, make use of the Field Help and application help and the technical reference guides, over the last 5 years I have noticed the documentation getting better and better. Field help (from the help menu) will show you a fields functionality when you select the field.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Hope this helps.

-Rick Bird
IT Software Administrator
Rowmark, LLC.
9.05.700B2

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "greg_clauser" <gclauser@...> wrote:
>
> Looking for some advice/ideas on how to handle kind of an untraditional manufacturing process. We are on 9.05.700B and have purchased but not yet implemented the Advanced Scheduling Module as well as AMM so I guess we don't lack for tools.
>
> I have a primary machining operation on a 3 axis mill. We place a large block of (lot controlled) aluminum (approx 30"L x 24"W x 18"H) in the machine and machine as many as 100 parts per approx 1" deep layer of the block.
>
> This is an unattended machining step that can take anywhere from 12 to 18 hours (after first piece OK) but these 100 parts are left attached to the block by a small web. We run two shifts but these machines will run through the night unattended until the layer completes which could be anywhere from 1AM to maybe 6AM.
>
> Machines will remain idle until the last piece machined is cut from the block and inspected. Once this last (layer) piece is approved, an operator is assigned to run the machine for about an hour as the machine slices the webs holding the parts to the block row by row so he can remove each row of parts before the machine can slice the next row free.
>
> Once all parts in the layer are removed, he will start the 12 to 18 hour unattended maching cycle all over again for the machining of another 100 piece layer (or partial layer).
>
> Right now, all of this is combined in the first operation as simply "Primary Milling OP" for Jobs of perhaps 1,000 pieces or so. After this primary OP, the parts are hand loaded into other operator attended machines for various secondary machining OPs.
>
> It's not really too difficult to keep track of labor but figuring out how to structure MOM's, Job's, Resources, etc. for accurate scheduling has me stumped.
>
> Any ideas or advice?
>
> Greg
>