Need help being converted to a kinetic monster

I need to be converted to a kinetic monster like the rest of you seem to be already.

Trying to follow a mixture from the resident expert’s posts and recreate some of our screens, but I am struggling to even get the basics down.

In principle, I guess I’m trying to mimic a standard screen - a key field for searching and have that populate the data object on the dashboard/application/tracker/whateveryoucallitwhereyouare.

I know I could create an updateable query, and bring it into old school dashboard designer and generate my kinetic view that way, or old school customization add a data view and go from there but I want to be able to start from a blank dashboard canvas and build it out myself.

I created a new application studio dashboard, created a text box with a key field and search, and then edited the on search click behavior on the text box.

In the event, I added a search-show action and successfully pull up my quick search. Then “On Success” I tried pushing the result back through with the search-value-set action.

I’ve attempted to implement identical to the below post on using Search-Value-Set, but it doesn’t seem to return anything to my fields.

View:

Search-Show

Search-Value-Set

EDIT - When recreating it again, I missed adding searchResult in the Search-Value-Set. Even adding this, the behavior is the same.

Other useful resources I’ve been using…

Essentially, it searches and I can select a record and hit OK, but it doesn’t close out, and it doesn’t fill any of the background fields in. I recreated it from scratch a bit ago and recorded this for a visual:

Anyone see anything glaringly wrong with my setup, or do I need to do something additional to make it leave the window and populate my dashboard fields?

EDIT - When recreating it again, I missed adding searchResult in the Search-Value-Set. Even adding this, the behavior is the same.

Multi-Value Quick Search - Search-Value-Set - Kinetic 202X - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)

1 Like

Forgot I switched to a quick search over the basic search and missed your caveat in your original post about it. So instead of TransView, I assume I would use my view that I created?

I tried both and still have the no-reaction OK button.

Tried with and without the dataview-filter-set, as I am using a single select rather than multi select.

Tried both

DMRCorAct_ActionID = searchResult.DMRCorAct_ActionID
DMRCorAct_ActionID = searchResult.ActionID

on the filter line as the QuickSearch returns DMRCorAct_ActionID

Not sure what the ErpSearchResults table is as it’s not listed on their help
articles/9682793966221-Using-System-Data-Views

(not sure if I’m allowed to share screenshots from the Application Help area or if it’s against terms/license)

For context, this is a custom Ice.UIDbd.myscreen rather than a base Erp.UI.screen if that changes anything.

Do I need to populate my custom CAPA view first before searching? I tried following their steps via the article below but I get a correlation error when using Erp.BO.CorrectiveActionSvc and GetList or GetRows
articles/9682764010893-Loading-Data-into-a-View

(not sure if I’m allowed to share screenshots from the Application Help area or if it’s against terms/license)

Have you opened Dev Tools with debugging running?
Even if you don’t set values after displaying a search, the OK button will still close the slider.
Something else is going on.

Did you implicitly create this search form?

Otherwise, it should just be default.

I mistakenly assumed they all had a default search named like that. You are correct :slight_smile: 1 step closer, it returns from OK but empty. Looking over everything again to see if I tweaked anything trying to make it work. I will let you know if this was my magic bullet!

Kinetic is woefully under-documented; never really looked at it because of that, so I’m not sure what’s on there.
ErpSearchResults seems to be some magical dataview that gets created if you use a BAQ or Quick Search. :woman_shrugging:

Never usually run on the web, we are just starting to learn the kinetic tools.

Took a peek under the hood, strange thing is when I run the search on web and select a record it immediately errors when I check the box, don’t even get to hit OK before the error.
If I run the search again, it returns 0 results on subsequent runs despite it always returning results in the desktop client.

Make sure you actually enable debugging. There are some red herrings (like that one) otherwise.
How To: Debugging Kinetic (Browser) - Experts’ Corner - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)

1 Like

welcome to hell GIF by FirstAndMonday

2 Likes

This is pretty long winded as I am kind of showing my thought process for anyone in the future who stumbles upon this. I’m trying not to bother here so much and figure out how to read the data presented.

Seems my searchResult table is getting filled with all of the records and not returning only what I select.

Is that standard/intended behavior? The view row is always showing 0 even when I select midway through the records and it’s set to SingleSelect

Seems both ErpSearchResults tables are empty even after running both example row-updaters

My CAPA table shows it got an empty update and all the actions fire off.

In my mind looking at this, it feels like it isn’t selecting the record correctly and/or passing/filtering it to the ErpSearchResults table correctly

Writing this as I debug, lol…

Took a look at my dataview-filter-set and it was set to = searchResult.DMRCorAct_ActionID.
However, the debug table had only ActionID so I changed that out and it fixed the ErpSearchResults return.

It filters down, but to the wrong record. I select 1355 and it returns record 4.

If I go back to the searchResult table, it still shows viewRow as 0 and row 0 is ActionID 4.

So the filter is working properly, but there are two issues.
1: searchResult is not setting to the record that I select
2: the record is not row updating my CAPA view

For #2, I am telling it to update the ActionID from my view. I tried it with an Ep Binding of both CAPA and CAPA.ActionID. The “{Table.Field}” matches the field name displayed in the debugger for that table.

I tried it with a static value of “4” just like the record is returning and nothing populates into CAPA view either.

Weirdly enough, after deleting the “row-update” action, both the searchResult and the ErpSearchResults reduced and filtered to the correct row.

Thought I would try populating it through the original rest-erp as suggested on the Epicor help article. Got this errror:

I’m using GetByID and it has a method parameter of actionID and I tried setting it via searchResult.ActionID and via ErpSearchResults.DMRCorAct_ActionID with no luck. I also tried setting it to a static “4” as we know that one exists and it does not error, but the CAPA view does not fill in.

Scrapping the rest-erp as it doesn’t seem to be injecting into the CAPA view, at least row-update was turning it red with null data. Speaking of - it’s a new dashboard with a new view, there are no rows to update :smiley: Trying to swap it into row-add

Well, that’s a row all right haha.

Seems the value is getting added to the CAPA view but none of the predefined columns are showing up and it doesn’t map the row to it.

I feel like I’m very close. It feels like I still need to somehow populate the entire CAPA view with the DMRCorAct table and filter it down instead.

Longwinded but, any ideas?

Edit: For reference, this is my CAPA view populated with columns on the application studio screen.

Definitely having issues binding to the schema of the table.

Achieved it through a dataview-copy as my CAPA is an empty dataview.

I think I’m understanding these tools a little clearer now.

Thanks @hmwillett !

Of course this isn’t a live record and will need some other magic down the line to push the data back to the source.

No. This should only ever have 1 record if your search is set to SingleSelect.

After looking at it in 2023, this appears to have changed. SearchResult will be the only one you should need as it appears to be working properly without needing to do any dataview-filter voodoo, so that’s cool. If < 2023, then you’ll probably still have to deal with that mess.

Did you change the way you’re doing the search-value-set from your original post?

I would need to see your REST response parameters.

You would need to use REST and get a new row that way, then push your value otherwise what you are seeing will happen.

And to anyone that happens to be following along… THIS is how you ask a question.
Show me what you’ve done. Explain your thought process, so I know what you’re trying to do. Include DETAILS.
Don’t expect anyone to be at your beck and call if you just slap our tag on your post. At least provide some decent information to make it look like you’re trying to understand instead of getting a free answer.

@josecgomez get this guy a medal, lol. :1st_place_medal:

I don’t think this gets posted enough: Tips for asking question on the forum - Experts’ Corner - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)

Awkward Kid GIF