Part allocations

So if we have fulfillment workbench, I have not been able to get it to show anything. Either we don't have it, or we don't have it set up. (both of which are possible).

We've never been shown or told anything about releasing to a packing slip. I'll have to dig into that and figure out what that is, and if someone is doing something accidentally.

As far as legitimate allocations, no one in our company, so far, knows how to influence allocations on purpose. (including me and I've been the one to try to figure it out the most up to this point) We are operating on the assumption that if it's on the shelf that it's available, which is how they have done it forever and since we are a small enough company it works well enough for the most part. The computer is not going to stop anyone from putting on a truck anyways, but that's a whole other issue to deal with.

One step at a time.
We are running into an issue with an error message in shipping about part allocations. We get a message that says "not enough unallocated inventory in bin" or something like that. OR, it says, this order has allocated inventory in another location. The only way that I have been able to get around it is to do a inventory transfer from one location to the next, and then it lets me move forward.

How do I see these allocations so that we can work with them? In the part tracker, there is a tab called part allocation but it NEVER has any information in it, even when we are getting an error that says that the part has allocated inventory.

Do you have the Fulfillment Workbench?
Sales Mgmt --> Order Mgmt --> general Ops --> FulFillment Workbench

If so, you can use that to see what is allocated - and unallocate.
Search for Parts or SOReleases

Also note materials can be "picked" or  "reserved"
A material will stay on reservation until packed and shipped

If a pack slip is unpacked, the material will need to be “unreserved” to release it back for assignment to another sales order release

If you’re getting a message that there’s an allocation but you don’t see it in part tracker, there’s a db  conversion that run and it will go through the allocation table and clean it up. When you do have this issue though, it might be worth looking at the “partalloc”  table  with like a BAQ and look by part # to see what has it allocated. The data you get from that table might give you a clue as to what orders/jobs it might have been allocated to.  Most of the time I find that a particular part is on the MES mtl queue because a move was requested and our ppl on the floor don’t transact those and an allocation stays behind.

Are you on 9 or 10 ?

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:22 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Part allocations

We are running into an issue with an error message in shipping about part allocations. We get a message that says "not enough unallocated inventory in bin" or something like that. OR, it says, this order has allocated inventory in another location. The only way that I have been able to get around it is to do a inventory transfer from one location to the next, and then it lets me move forward.

How do I see these allocations so that we can work with them? In the part tracker, there is a tab called part allocation but it NEVER has any information in it, even when we are getting an error that says that the part has allocated inventory.

What we have had to do is go to the Fullfilment Workbecnh, click on the Order Tab and search.  Enterthe Order in the To and From> search. Then select and then unallocated…then unreserved.

Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:39 PM
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Part allocations

If you’re getting a message that there’s an allocation but you don’t see it in part tracker, there’s a db  conversion that run and it will go through the allocation table and clean it up. When you do have this issue though, it might be worth looking at the “partalloc”  table  with like a BAQ and look by part # to see what has it allocated. The data you get from that table might give you a clue as to what orders/jobs it might have been allocated to.  Most of the time I find that a particular part is on the MES mtl queue because a move was requested and our ppl on the floor don’t transact those and an allocation stays behind.

Are you on 9 or 10 ?

Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:22 PM
Subject: [Vantage] Part allocations

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Jose,

That's a great idea, I don't know why I didn't think to look through a query. Now that you say that for the move requests we would have the same thing going on. We are getting move requests for purchase to stock items that we don't need because they are simply receiving them to the correct place as they get received. I went into our test system which is duplicated form production and deleted all of the move requests. However the allocations are still there. This seems to be what happens in this case right?

We are on E-10. What is the DB conversion for the cleanup? Is is the  database purge and summarize? From the purge/cleanup routines? I'll check the help files too.

Brandon

Greg posted a BPM that I use that you put on the menu.  Double click on it and it will delete all the mtl queues.

PreProc on an UD table.

/* Remove MtlQueue  */

For each ttUD15 where (ttUD15.rowmod = 'A' or ttUD15.rowmod = 'U') and ttUD15.Company = cur-comp.

For Each MtlQueue where MtlQueue.Company = cur-comp.

Delete MtlQueue.

End.

End. /* End for each UD15 */

Miguel A. Santillan

Compass Manufacturing Systems

Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:38 AM
Subject: [Vantage] Re: Part allocations

Jose,

That's a great idea, I don't know why I didn't think to look through a query. Now that you say that for the move requests we would have the same thing going on. We are getting move requests for purchase to stock items that we don't need because they are simply receiving them to the correct place as they get received. I went into our test system which is duplicated form production and deleted all of the move requests. However the allocations are still there. This seems to be what happens in this case right?

We are on E-10. What is the DB conversion for the cleanup? Is is the  database purge and summarize? From the purge/cleanup routines? I'll check the help files too.

Brandon

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Yeah deleting the move request doesn’t get rid of the allocations, only transacting the move request from MES will. But if you did delete them run the conversion. It’s under  System Management\Upgrade/Mass Regeneration\ Refresh PartQuantities and Allocations.

You can run a report only and it shows you what it will do. This does not affect your inventory or anything it just simply frees up the allocations. If you do  run it, make sure nobody is using the system. By the way, it can take a  few hours to run.

Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:38 AM
Subject: [Vantage] Re: Part allocations

Jose,

Brandon

Alright, that will be helpful. Do you have any idea how to get the system to stop automatically making material move requests on receipt?

Hmm I’m not sure if there’s a way to turn them all off.  On some screens the user actually sees a checkbox to request a move and the people on the floor either know to check it off or I don’t see why you couldn’t do a BMP to always set it to false on each screen if that fits your business.

What I would recommend to you is when you see the allocation problem take a look at the allocation table and see what could be holding it up. It might not necessarily be something in the mtl queue. It could truly be allocated like someone else mentioned today   through the Fullfillment workbench and it could be a legitimate allocation.

Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:02 PM
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Re: Part allocations

Alright, that will be helpful. Do you have any idea how to get the system to stop automatically making material move requests on receipt?

Not sure if this is the solution, but I noticed it was happening to us during shipment.  I believe it was happening when they Enter the order and release to the packing slip.  Then instead of deleting the line shipment, they would delete the complete packing slip.  I called it an orphan shipment line.  So the line was still allocated but the packing slip was deleted.

Ever since I told them to delete from the bottom up, I hardly see this.

Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:34 PM

Hmm I’m not sure if there’s a way to turn them all off.  On some screens the user actually sees a checkbox to request a move and the people on the floor either know to check it off or I don’t see why you couldn’t do a BMP to always set it to false on each screen if that fits your business.

What I would recommend to you is when you see the allocation problem take a look at the allocation table and see what could be holding it up. It might not necessarily be something in the mtl queue. It could truly be allocated like someone else mentioned today   through the Fullfillment workbench and it could be a legitimate allocation.

Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:02 PM

Disclaimer

When I've had orphans as you describe...
Sometimes closing the SO Rel and then reopening it will clear them.