Query Initial Value

Had an idea to do some trickery on an updateable query… I want to set the initial value to a parameter passed in, but it doesn’t explicitly say if it is or isn’t allowed. This way I could let the user enter into a tracker, then pass as parameter into another query on the dashboard based on values published from the previous tracker, rather than create a c# customization to fill the new record fields. Anyone have any experience one way or another?

This seems promising:
https://www.epiusers.help/t/set-a-default-value-in-a-dashboard-tracker-prompt-baq-paramaters-tracker-inputs/42470/10

Hi Logan, looks like you are on version 10, so if I understand your post correctly that is exactly what you want to do, pass your desired value from a tracker as a parameter into your query. From my understanding this does not work the same in kinetic, but I don’t have much experience there so I could be wrong.

Just found a workaround for what I was trying to do about 10 minutes ago. Instead of passing in as a parameter, I created a BPM Data Form, then in the GetNew BPM of the Query, I added a call for the Data Form there and set the fields as needed.

It seems that post was more about setting the default in the tracker for sending as parameters up front, I was hoping to use a parameter as a default value for a “new record” in an updateable query. However, I couldn’t find a syntax for referring to the parameters in the “Initial Value” column in the Update section of BAQ designer. Using the BPM form in the Get New method I was able to achieve this by essentially pulling up my own Parameters screen mid-bpm.

As to your original question.
As far as I know, parameters are not passed at the GetNew stage, so they would not be available.

1 Like