Rant - work orders

1. Purchase order
  2. Sales order
  3. Transfer order
  4. Job

Why not “work order” instead of “job”?

That is all.

My guess is because Jobs aren’t always driven through an “order”. But they kind of are if you rewire what you consider an “order”.

I know other ERPs use the term work order.

That said, I have found it a bit clumsy at times how menu names are “Purchase Order” and “Transfer Order” but sales order is just Order. Yet the BO is SalesOrder…

2 Likes

Amen.

I petitioned to have that and other menu names fixed in an Epicor Idea. They did some of it. Not that.

1 Like

In version 2024 you will be able to add search words to menu items so you can call it whatever you want.

1 Like

No kidding? That’s promising.

It is so frustrating when a user - very reasonably - searches for a screen named “Part Maintenance” and nothing comes up.

At the risk of firing up @askulte on this, I’ll tag him so he can see this if he doesn’t know already.

Order Tracker
Job Tracker
Invoice Tracker
Purchase Order Tracker
Receipt Tracker
Part Tracker

One of these things doesn’t do what you think it does.

@timshuwy explained it some time ago…

1 Like

I read that whole dumpster fire back then and I forgot it so I ended up sitting there re-reading a bunch of it… Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Edit:
Not just @timshuwy 's post… but the whole thread. I love understanding the backstory for that kind of stuff and it’s hard for me to quit learning when there’s knowledge to be soaked in. There, that doesn’t sound so bad now.

1 Like

Yes this is a massive gap. Has somebody put in an idea yet to build an actual part tracker?

NO Kidding… we have added a place to allow you to enter new search words to the menu system… also deduping the search results of the search, as well as prioritizing some of the results… for example, if you search for PART, the Part Maintenance application move to the top (It used to be way down on the list). :safe_harbor: Safe Harbor Statement… this is coming in 2024.1, but not yet delivered :safe_harbor:

2 Likes

Just happy to help.

To paraphrase George Bernard Shaw (or Winston Churchill depending on source): Two cultures separated by a common language :slight_smile:

1 Like

and my wife is Canadian. Go figure.

I’m with you on this. I’m coming from a system where “Work Order” was the term for manufacturing orders and suggestions. It allowed for clean, uniform prefixes for all our demands and supplies: WO-12345 for work orders, PO-12345 for purchase orders, SO-12345 for sales orders, and then we didn’t actually do anything for transfer orders since we treated those as purchase orders between sites.

Depending on the audience, I like to just call them “Manufacturing” or “Manufacture” orders. Just seemed to make sense to me… :slight_smile:

“Production Order” is another one that is ok, but personally not my favorite, as my previous company had Production Planners and Material Planners adopt “PO” as the shorthand to refer to the orders they plan. That led to some very confusing conversations where one person would say “PO” to refer to Productions Orders, but the other person would hear “PO” and think the conversation is about Purchase Orders.

As long as this thread is already off topic I will just drag it further off course. Couldn’t find an existing idea for this so I created one: Log In - Epicor Identity