Sales Kits

The online help is a little vague (surprise, surprise) when it comes to how a part of type Sales Kit works.

My basic understanding is that they are like manufactured parts (will have a MoM), but that no job is required to “make” them, and can only contain inventoried parts as components.

We’ll use them strictly as a list of parts that will get pulled at the the time the packer is created.
So should the Qty Bearing be set to FALSE?

And the “Backflush” setting is a tad confusing.

If it is selected, the component parts are automatically issued from inventory - even if they don’t have a default bin setup.

If it is not selected, there is a tab on Customer Shipment Entry (Lines -> Sales Kit Comp Issue) where you can select the bin for each component.

Does using backflush, with components that have no default bin cause problems with part trans?

Would setting the sales kit part as Qty Bearing cause inventory transactions for the parent part?

1 Like

Calvin, you set the Sales Kit part to Non-Stock and Quantity Bearing. When
you ship then you will see in Part Tran History for the Sales Kit part a
Kit-Cus transaction type as a reference.

The Kit components will backflush from the first bin in your warehouse list
(unless you have “negative inventory not allow” turned on for the part
class at which you will receive a message during customer shipment entry)

Mark Wagner
Sr. Partner

Capstone Alliance Partners 888.597.2227 Ext. 71
<888.597.2227%20Ext.%20714>2 | 904.412.6847 mwagner@capstoneap.com (cell)
| www.capstoneap.com

2 Likes

So there’s a path of PartTrans that parallels a mfg’d part?

Part issued to Job:
a STK-MFG parttran is created for each item issued (or is it STK-MTL? I can never remember)
QOH of inventoried parts is decremented

Costs can sit in WIP if they are issued before the finished part is shipped.

Mfg’d item shipped from WIP to customer
a MFG-CUS parttran is created for the finished item, using the sum of costs issued to the particular job for determining the PartTran value

but on a Sales Kit, a Customer shipment is the only action that happens, so it does the component part issues as STK-KIT, and the finished item shipment as KIT-CUS.

That correct?
And safe to assume that the cost of the KIT-CUS transaction is the sum of the related STK-KIT trans?

And what If I clear the Qty Bearing on the SK part?
We’re never going to pre-assemble these kits, or track their QOH’s. In fact shouldn’t their QOH always be zero? Other than a manual Qty Adjustment, how could the QOH be non-zero?

Also, having the SK part be non-Qty Bearing would cause problems for us as we use Average costing, and non-Qty Bearing parts are forced to STD costing.

Think of SalesKits as phantoms, except at the highest level. The sales kit
on the order is simply creating order line(s) to ship so that you do not
have to enter the order lines yourself. If you want to swap components
during sales order entry then click on allow change components on the sales
kit setup. If you want to allow a change to the number of sales kit items
during order entry then allow change parameters on the sales kit setup

Sales Kits are always quantity bearing, non-stock. (In E10 when you mark a
part as a Sales Kit, it forces you to keep it as quantity bearing). You
never manufacture a sales kit and never put it in stock, only the sales kit
components are made to stock so they can ship or be backflushed

Your part transactions are when you build the sales kit parts to stock
(mfg-stk) and then they are either backflushed stk-kit or shipped (stk-cus)

If the parts are backflushed to the kit your profitability is the sales
order revenue - cost of sales for the kit components

Mark Wagner
Sr. Partner

| www.capstoneap.com

1 Like

Okay. Just kept getting thrown by these two contradictory statements.

I’ll just go with, “For reasons unknown, a Sales Kit part must be Qty Bearing, even though it will never be put into, or taken out of stock.”

@ckrusen, I think of a Sales Kit as a container where the parts inside the container are put-in and taken-out of stock

Main reason for quantity bearing is so that you have a transaction history
of the sales kit

Mark Wagner
Sr. Partner

| www.capstoneap.com

Some things I’ve noticed regarding Sales Kits

• A SK type part on a Order will create hidden lines for its components. Example: SK-0001 (an SK part with 10 components) is entered on line 2, and GS-0001 (a generic purchased part) on the line after Line 2. Line 2 will show SK-0001, Lines 3 - 12 (the 10 components of SK-0001, will not be shown on the order form, but are in the OrderDtl table. The GS-0001 item will show on line 13 (and its LineNum in OrderDtl will be 13).

• Shipping a SK type part makes a KIT-CUS part tran, with the InventoryTrans field being TRUE (this makes sense as to what Mark W said about why they have to be Qty Bearing)

• If a SK is setup to Backflush components and a component part does not have a default bin location assigned, it uses the first bin in the WhseBin table. (not sure if it uses the first bin created, or the first bin based in the BinNum) Prepare to do Inventory Transfers to fix these if the components’ default bins are not setup

• if a SK is not setup to Backflush components, then you have to select the Bin to pull from on the Packer (Lines -> Sales Kit Comp Issue tab)

1 Like

Calvin you probably have already seen this but you can click on the
checkbox on the summary order form to display/not display the individual
sales kit order lines

Of course the sales kit setups also let you decide whether or not you want
to print/hide information on certain customer documents

As to the bin, it is not the first bin setup, it is the first bin in your
warehouse/bins that it selects, correct

Mark Wagner
Sr. Partner

| www.capstoneap.com

I have a question for Sales Kits @mjfwagner. Can the qty for the parent show the total component parts? For instance, I have set up tiers based on the number of trucks. Each Tier has separate pricing 1-500 = 1.80/truck 501-1000 = 1.75, 1001-1500 = 1.70, 1501+ = 1.65 for stance. I would like to the qty to be whatever the tiers add up to. So if there were 1660 trucks I want that to be the qty for the parent. Right now it works fine tiers add up to the correct pricing but the parent quantity shows 1. If it can’t be done, then we resort to putting information in the line information. I also thought about adding a UD Field and let the billing person use that as the total and then suppress the normal qty field. Does any of that make sense?

Thanks,
Charles

What happens if a Sales Kit is marked as Non-Stock?

The field help explains what happens if it is set to Stock.

If a Sales Kit is Stock , all requirements are satisfied from inventory and allocations are created to pull the sales kit components on the parent kit part’s need date. Requirements include any minimum, maximum, and/or safety stock levels as well as requirements from sales orders or other jobs for the kit components.

But what does this mean? It tells us what it doesn’t do instead of telling us what it does.

If a Sales Kit is Non-Stock , the parent kit part is not normally stocked. This does not create a manufacturing suggestion as sales kits are not manufactured.

Good luck figuring out what “Non-Stock” does. It’s illuded me for years.

I think that sometimes we overthink the how/why of things… and while the help may be a little vague, the concept on the kits is actually rather simple.
Here is how I teach about Sales Kits…

1. Kit PARENTS are those parts that you would put on an order… but these parents are NOT Stocked. There is no reason to stock them. It is just a grouping of parts. The Grouping is stored in a BOM, but you never create a job to “make” it.
  2. Kit Children are regular stockable parts. They are stocked and when the picklist is generated for the sales order only the CHILDREN print on the picklist because they are what are the “real” parts.
  3. when you enter a KIT PARENT onto a sales order, it will have OrderDtl.KitFlag = “P”, the CHILDREN are exploded directly into the sales order as OrderDtl records, but they are marked with OrderDtl.KitFlag = “C”. The quantity needed for the children is based on the quantity of the parent * BOM qty of the child. Note that there is also a pointer on each kit child record in OrderDtl that points to the parent line item.
  4. Also note that it is possible to have “Configurable sales kits” as well as sales kits that can be manually modified within the sales order directly.

There is a also setting in Epicor that specifies whether you allow kits to be shipped separately as components on different shipments. This setting also requires that you use component pricing if you want to split the shipment up.

Cost of goods shipped/sold is always be the cost of the CHILDREN, whereas the price charged will be the price for the parent (unless component pricing is used).

The best example I have of sales kits comes from current client who sells sinks with faucets + mounting hardware and other plumbing, Soap dispenser, and maybe even a trash can… each of the components is stocked separately and they can be sold separately… but when the sell a “complete sink” the customer will get all the components… BUT these are NOT assembled in the factory. They are shipped as separate components. They want the Customer to buy the whole “Kit” but the shipping department only needs to pick based on the picking slip. If they order 10 sink kits, they ship 10 each of the faucet, mount, drain, and sink. Depending on how the part is setup, it may or may not display all the components on the packslip and/or invoice.

4 Likes

Right. I agree with and understand (I think) everything you said.

But… on the Part Maintenance screen, you can set Sales Kits as “Stock” or “Non-Stock”. Does this affect anything? Or does this field have no affect on the functionality of Sales Kits?

2 Likes

Well, in theory, the fields on the first page of Part Maintenance are labeled “Default”… they actually are not supposed to actually be used by any logic. The real logic should be at the Part/Site level, where you will find the field that is actually usedimage

That said, I would leave the item as Non-Stock for the parent part since you logically cannot stock/ship a kit parent.

OK… that is cute.

When I set up a new part, and set the Default Site Parameters, do those drive the settings for the Sites tab?

Or do we need to look at both tabs all the time?

We only have ONE site.

Most of the time, I work with companies that are Multi-Site factories, so this becomes really important.
But, even if you only have one site, then the default is used when creating new parts, and new part/site records… but you can override the value on the site tab, so the values could be different even in a single site environment.

Whenever I change one of those “default” values, I get a prompt asking if I wish to update all the sites with the new value. Prompt doesnt appear until you save (Or do something that would initiate a save)

Correct… the “defaults” will populate the other site records if you answer YES here… but if you answer negative, then the defaults will be different than the site (or sites). This is sometimes how they get out of sync, and people sometimes look only at that front page, when (repeating myself above) the system is SUPPOSED to look at the Part Site data for specifics.
(there was a bug sometime in the past two years that we found one program looking at the default values in PART rather than the site).

@timshuwy, I’m hoping you’re willing to teach a little more about sales kits. Should we be able to use component-level price breaks in conjunction with component pricing on the kits? We’re having trouble in that regard and I’m wondering if it just isn’t possible or if we need to change a configuration setting somewhere.