Series 1 EpiSode 6: The Kinetic Transformation with Brian Conner

and 2022.1, it seems

1 Like

did we get ctrl-c / ctrl-v in remoteapp deploy? Or do we lose remoteapp entirely soon?

Seems pedantic but, y know, users…

1 Like

Not familiar is this RDP or something else?

1 Like

this is really what we need though. We iterate fast at the sales unit, and share parts very widely, and then modify parts and manage runouts/changeovers with bins, pallets, labels, smart people, less smart people, spreadsheets, scrolls, 20-sided dice, etc. It’s already messy.

1 Like

You should!!!

3 Likes

it’s rds. In the windows server manager > collection you publish apps. Epicor has always worked in there for us so we only put the client on the TS members. Users get what looks. like. an rdp shortcut.

probably has another name.

1 Like

Got ya but how would losing Ctrl C and Ctrl V be an Epicor specific issue. Is just headless RDP I wouldn’t think that Epicor would have any control over that.

1 Like

fair enough. Just that it works with DMT and epicor.exe/MES, but with epicor.exe the window never maintains focus, or. something.

Looking forward to the browser anyhow.

3 Likes

I absolutely love the idea of using the GMail (and Outlook for Web) density model!!!

We’ve not actually put a setting in for it in the initial story just changed desktop vs. mobile density, but this is definitely being considered. Here is a preview of the initial grid density change from our last sprint demos…

2022.2 (before)

2023.1 (after, wip version)

Any thoughts about using ARIA-Labels to improve accessibility AND help with automated UI testing?
Provide a method to add ARIA-Labels (Roles and | Kinetic Ideas (aha.io)

I mentioned some of the things we do for WCAG compliance today like contrast testing in the design system, but more accessibility improvements will be coming on this front. All other considerations aside, it’s just the right thing to do. I am aligned with Tim Cook on this, personally. Another good reason for density selection options to exist btw.

A performance improvement suggestion: I see we are mimicking the rich-client calling structure in Kinetic. For example, upon login there are about a dozen different REST calls to get information about the user. Could those calls be collapsed into fewer calls (or a single call) that returns everything about the user and take a bunch of calls off the wire and improve speed?

Talked about this a little on the podcast I think in that we have the benefit of very well separated ui and service layers which gave us the ability to shift one part of that stack without needing to massively disturb the other. That’s very helpful for a massive transformation, but once you’re past that point as we are you can return and rethink select things to tune the experience further. So yes, things like tuning time to start or refactoring applications to use more modern web techniques for perf are also fair game for the refinement/polish phase. Polling based system monitor, for example vs. websockets push based.

As companies like Adobe, Microsoft, and other companies start to use the W3 Standard Web Components capability, do you envision Kinetic eventually supporting this standard? A BAQ component that can be used in an Angular, a React, or even a Blazor application for example?

We’ve definitely had a close eye on web components for a very long time, but nothing I can tell you today :slight_smile: Could be, in the future.

5 Likes

I’m going to assume that as long as classic exists you will have remote app.

You can open MES in the browser directly, just like you could with the https:////Apps/Erp/Home/#/home?mode=MES link

2 Likes

Thanks @bconner it is refreshing to hear from the other side that sometimes things don’t go 100% right the first time, and that Epicor is aware and are working on them.

As they say “It won’t happen overnight, but it will happen”.

As far as ML and AI go… Nothing like seeing someone really excited about something, which you definitely are. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

YES! Much better!!! Now do that everywhere on every app!!! :white_check_mark::fire:

7 Likes

yes, all the fire

3 Likes

Now I feel bad yelling at you always on the forums and tagging you on my rants

Friends I have read the majority of the anonymous feedback on this product and many others - don’t worry for our feelings we just want to know what’s working for you and what’s not so we can make it better. Constructive candor is great.

Besides, if nobody has ever said anything ruthless about your work are you really shipping software to production? I think not.

7 Likes

Condensed Tables <3 I always say our people want Craigslist style ugly, condensed app always over fancy UI… Its an ERP not TurboTax! Love It!

3 Likes

For @josecgomez :slight_smile:

1 Like

@bconner et al.
Thanks for a much more sensible Login form.
It’s those small thing, that make the difference.

Hmmmm :thinking: I wonder can just disable the dropdown via the config file?

4 Likes

Same thing in the Web browser :heart_eyes:
Before it just assumed one or the other.

4 Likes

Radical Candor

1 Like

Jose, my question is though, can we control this by user account?

Or is that a dumb idea to begin with?

I just don’t know if someone is going to understand what either of those are…

1 Like