Server sizing question for e10.2

Hi all,

I’m looking for some clarification on the sizing guide for 10.

We are currently at 13 concurrent and 3 MES users. I’m planning on going virtual, with two guests on 1 physical machine.

The sizing guide is a bit confusing…there is the recommendation for up to 15. Then I see the section on virtualizing, which points to the APP01 section for physical host requirements…that recommendation is basically twice the original for <15 users, 2 cpus and 64 gigs ram.

For a small company like ours, can I get away with a single CPU and 32gigs ram or do you think I need to go bigger?

@rirish in my experience your proposed sizing should be ok, however a few questions and thoughts:
-How many cores on that single CPU?
-Are you planning that your App Server and DB Server are the same server?

Thoughts:
-Be sure to have a separate virtual server for your Test, Pilot & Train DB.
-SQL will attempt to use all the memory and resources it can, be sure to configure your SQL Instance to not use more than 75% of your Memory, this will provide overhead for the AppServers and RD sessions or any other services.
-In SQL you can also specify which Cores SQL will use. Your SQL Server License wil specify how many cores you should be assigning. I usually do not allow SQL to use all Cores, this provides CPU overhead and I get a metric on SQL. SQL trypically isn’t CPU heavy
-You didn’t mention storage but I would make sure you provide lots of storage, here is how I usually organize my storage:

• System\OS Drive (just the OS) - whatever you usually need for the OS (80 GB?)
    *Programs Drive - where I try to install programs including Epicor & IIS website store (80 GB?)
    *Data - where all DB’s are stored (Epicor, Reports, SSRS, EnterpriseSearch, DataDiscovery, Transaction Logs, etc) (1 TB - this might be a little overkill but storage is cheap and if something crazy happens you have lots of margin. Min 500GB)
    *Backup - where all DB backups are stored (including DB & transaction log backups) (500GB - Dependent on your companies retention policies)

-If I were you, and that CPU has at least 4 cores I would try your setup and see how things go. With how few users you have you should be ok. I have several clients with 20 users and 10 MES users and here is their config:

• 8 Core Single CPU
  • 64GB Memory
1 Like

Also, RAM is “cheap” typically. Getting more doesn’t hurt. And, for storage, be sure you are getting fast drives (like SSD or better) for your database. You’ll be glad you did.

2 Likes

Thank you for the input! The cpu I had picked out has 16 cores. I’ll plan on doubling the ram to 64 gig.

The guide for the <15 users suggests 2 15k drives for the OS and 4 SSD in a raid 10 for the db…but going virtual I think it’s best to just create a single array, correct?

Is this local host storage or a SAN or what?

Local storage.

I’d take it a step further and get a NVMe SSD. Stick it right to the motherboard with PCIe.

1 Like

Ok, being local storage, I would follow Epicor’s recommendation at a Minimum, but now a days you might as well go SSD all the way.
If possible I like to keep my running DB array, Backup array, OS & Programs array separate, that way if I have a failed array that cannot recover for some reason I have more recovery options.
BTW - You can put your Backup on a NAS or something as an option.
For backups, I suggest following the Backup Rule of 3: if you don’t have it in at least 3 physical locations, it’s not backed up:

1 Like

If you are putting your dB and app servers on the same virtual host I would do separate arrays as well.

The hardware guide is overkill, it stayed the same from E9 to E10, even after all the database consolidations and optimizations. Epicor wants satisfied customers. With 16 users it will be very rare to have more than a couple hitting the app server, DB or reporting at the same time. The other issue is Microsoft Licensing. Ouch.

1 Like