Third database for 5.0

Sheesh. Why didn't I look there before typing out two pages of stuff. Good eye, Wayne.

Troy Funte
Liberty Electronics

----- Original Message -----
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 1:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Vantage] Third database for 5.0

At 06:38 PM 12/5/2001, you wrote:
>Does anyone have a document/instructions for creating a third training/test
>database with 5.0 and progress explorer tool? I searched the epicor site

Search for 1281MPS - it has it all.

-WC

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT

Useful links for the Yahoo!Groups Vantage Board are: ( Note: You must have already linked your email address to a yahoo id to enable access. )
(1) To access the Files Section of our Yahoo!Group for Report Builder and Crystal Reports and other 'goodies', please goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/files/.
(2) To search through old msg's goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/messages
(3) To view links to Vendors that provide Vantage services goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/links

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Hello all,

Does anyone have a document/instructions for creating a third training/test
database with 5.0 and progress explorer tool? I searched the epicor site
and found one for 4.0 and procontrol, but the explorer tool is different. I
sent an email request to epicor, have yet to receive a response.....TIA.

Diane Rowberry
Westwood Precision, Inc.
(425) 742-7011 ex 43
(425) 353-8945 Fax
diane.rowberry@...
www.westwoodprecision.com
Diane,
Here's what I've garnered (mostly from Jay at Epicor) on adding a third, fourth, fifth database...

You'll need to decide a couple of things...
1. Where will the new database go? I like to add a new folder under the f:\epic50\vantage folder such as Test1 or Test2 or Lookup or something descriptive. We have several extra databases. One to "lookup" part info (to save on getting extra licenses), One to test our Cell process (called "Cell"), and the regular training database (vntgtrn). Yours could be f:\epic50\vantage\Test1.
2. What will your service name be? Make one up, but keep it similar in name to your directory so you can keep everything straight. A service name to match above would be 50test1 or just test1.
3. A Port number to go with your service name in the services file and in Progress Explorer. 5.0 uses port numbers in the 2500's, although you can pick any available port number. I use steps of 10. 5.0 main database is 2500. Training database is 2510. Cell database is 2520, etc.

Now that you've decided to use Folder Test1, service=test1, and port number 2530 you can continue.

ON THE SERVER SIDE....
1. Procopy or Prorest the database to your new folder: f:\epic50\vantage\test1\vantage.db. (Don't simply copy/paste the database or you'll need to do a "prostrct repair vantage" to fix the vantage.st file.
2. Locate your 'services' file (c:\winnt\system32 on NT, or c:\windows on Win9x) and open it in Notepad. Add the services name and port number as follows (don't use the tab key). Test1 2530/tcp [press enter].
Save and Close the services file.
3. Open Progress Explorer tool for Progress 9.1C.
4. Under your server name, Right-Click "Databases" folder and click "New".
5. Enter a logical name for your new database like "Test1" and click OK.
6. In the Database Properties window, type in the path and name of your database: f:\epic50\vantage\test1\vantage. You can click "Automatically Start..." if you want.
7. Click the "+" under the new database, click the "+" under Configurations, then Right-Click "defaultConfiguration" and select "properties".
8. At the Properties window, You CAN leave these settings AS/IS but you should adjust setting here to 'minimize' server resources. This will allow your LIVE database to have the most resources as possible. Turn the Maximum users down to what you reasonable expect will need to access the database (including Report Builder). Leave the "# Blocks..." low or Zero. Under "Advanced", put the "Spin" at 1. Click OK when you're done editing the properties.
9. Click the "+" by defaultConfiguration to get to "defaultServerGroup". Right-click and select properties.
10. At the Properties window for 'defaultServerGroup', enter the Service name or port number you picked above (ie. 2530 or Test1).
11. Make a note of the Message buffer size. Depending on what your Client -Mn size is, you may need to adjust this to the better size of 4096. You could look in the similar setting for your other databases and match them. Set "Number of servers" to at least 1. Set "Max clients.." to at least 1. Click OK when done.
12. Click back on your "Test1" database, then click the Green 'start' button to start your database. Hopefully no errors will come up.
This concludes the server side...

ON THE CLIENT SIDE....
1. Open up the services file on the client with Notepad. Enter the same line as step 2 above: test1 2530/tcp [press enter]. Save and Close the services file.
2. Navigate in WindowsExplorer to your Mapped Drive for Epic50. Find the vantage.vtg file and make a copy of it (Right-Click, drag to an open space, let go, select "Copy"). Rename the "Copy of vantage.vtg" to something meaningful like "test1.vtg".
3. Right-Click on the "test1.vtg" file and select "edit".
4. Make the following changes to reflect the new location and service name.
Executable: (leave same)
Database: f:\epic50\vantage\test1\vantage
IniFile (leave same)
ParameterFile: (leave same)
ConnectionOptions=-N TCP -H hostname -S Test1 -ld vantage (NOTE: 'hostname' will be the name of your server)
The rest of the lines should stay the same.
5. Save and Close the "test1.vtg" file.
6. Right-Click the "test1.vtg" file and drag onto your clients desktop, then letgo. Select "Create ShortCut here".
This concludes the client side...

You should be able to double-click the new icon to open your new database.
NEXT, BE SURE TO DO THE FOLLOWING!
1. Immediately log on to the new database.
2. Click SystemConfiguration/comany. CHANGE YOUR COMPANY NAME by adding "Test1" to the beginning of it. THIS WILL HELP insure that noone accidentally opens the test database instead of the live database and begins entering data as though it were the real thing. Quite a waste of time. Also, any reports you run from the test database will have the heading "Test1" at the top so that your boss doesn't croak when a new "Profit/Loss" report shows up on his desk.
3. Exit Vantage to see the Comany Name change take effect.

Let me know if you have any questions. There is a good chance I left out some small but important detail.

Troy Funte
Liberty Electronics

----- Original Message -----
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 6:38 PM
Subject: [Vantage] Third database for 5.0

Hello all,

Does anyone have a document/instructions for creating a third training/test
database with 5.0 and progress explorer tool? I searched the epicor site
and found one for 4.0 and procontrol, but the explorer tool is different. I
sent an email request to epicor, have yet to receive a response.....TIA.

Diane Rowberry
Westwood Precision, Inc.
(425) 742-7011 ex 43
(425) 353-8945 Fax
diane.rowberry@...
www.westwoodprecision.com

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT

Useful links for the Yahoo!Groups Vantage Board are: ( Note: You must have already linked your email address to a yahoo id to enable access. )
(1) To access the Files Section of our Yahoo!Group for Report Builder and Crystal Reports and other 'goodies', please goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/files/.
(2) To search through old msg's goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/messages
(3) To view links to Vendors that provide Vantage services goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/links

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
At 06:38 PM 12/5/2001, you wrote:
>Does anyone have a document/instructions for creating a third training/test
>database with 5.0 and progress explorer tool? I searched the epicor site

Search for 1281MPS - it has it all.

-WC