2 Invoices for 1 Shipment?

We have 2 invoices for 1 shipment(1 pack slip), and don’t want this(we want 1 invoice). I’ve checked all the fields I know that govern this and they seem to be set as we expect. Can someone point us in the right direction? See screenshots / explanations of where we’ve looked below.

Only 1 Pack Slip:

2 Invoices

Customer has Combine Pack Slips checked(although there is only 1 pack slip)

Company Configuration has Use Shipment Date for Invoice Date clear(tech support told us this was needed last time this happened)

Which lines does the first invoice reference, and which does the second? Is there 1 release per line or multiple releases?

@Aaron_Moreng good question. When I print preview both invoices(not sure where to see this elsewhere), all lines are listed on the first invoice, and the second invoice is blank. Any ideas why we would have a blank invoice?

If you delete the second invoice (the blank one), and then do a “get shipments” does it find that packer again, and try to make another invoice?

Are any Misc charges being created?

Does the 1st invoice total match the order total? (looking for misc charges, taxes, Time/Materials lines, etc…)

@embedded What you are looking for is the checkbox that says “Consolidate Shipment Lines”. It is found in Customer on the Billing > Detail tab:

This checkbox does not show on the Customer Tracker. You need to go to Customer Maintenance to see it.

Here is what the field help says:

@Beth thanks for the recommendation, but unfortunately no luck. We deleted the invoices, checked the Consolidate Shipment Lines on the customer, then recreated the invoices and got two invoices again.

@ckrusen Yes we have a miscellaneous charge. We deleted just the blank invoice but “get shipments” recreated it. Interesting note the kit components are listed on the blank Invoice(we suppress listing kit components in our report so didn’t notice them originally), is this a clue?

We also deleted both invoices and did “get shipments” but it created two invoices again. Below are the Order Totals and Both Invoices. The blank one is $0…

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

We have seen that if the shipments are from different fiscal periods then it will always generate two invoices. And if you must comply with ASC606/IFS15, this is probably correct behavior as your revenue should match the cost per period for the “contract” as defined.

It looks like the first invoice, 82392, has packing slip lines 3 - 6 on it. What does invoice 82393 have? Were there lines 1 and 2 on the packing slip?

I believe for Beth’s method to work, the shipment would need to be un-shipped and then re-shipped. This would be in addition to deleting and reissuing the invoice. I may be wrong but I do not believe the lines will consolidate and give you the results you are looking for for an event that has already happened. Some functions are funny like that. They use a “snap-shot” at the time of the transaction. Therefore, changes only get applied after the fact. Try deleting and reshipping after checking the consolidate shipment lines.

1 Like

@RWB how could we delete the shipment(given it’s already shipped)? Is it just a matter of unclicking the shipped checkbox in customer shipment entry, or is there more to this?

No, it is literally that easy. Just unclick the shipped check box. Once that check box is clicked it marks the shipment ready to be invoiced. Be sure to “SAVE” in between steps. Either way please let me know if it works since it would not be the first time I have seen something like this.

@rwb unfortunately no luck :frowning: Any other ideas/suggestions?

Have you looked on the order to see if the invoice when complete is checked? This is on the sales order screen.

@rwb Invoice When Complete is not checked on the sales order. Should it be, would this explain why we would get a “blank” invoice with only the kit components?

So to recap:

• There’s one Sales Order, with all lines shipping from the same site and warehouse
  • One of the SO lines is for a sales kit
  • The entire order was shipped on a single packer, with nothing back ordered.
  • Using Get Shipments in Invoice Entry creates 2 separate Invoices
  • Both invoices have identical billing info, Invoice date, and all other header info (excluding calculated values like totals)
  • The invoice that has a zero dollar total only has the sales kit’s components.

Does the non-zero invoice have the sales kit parent item as a line item?

Any chance the sales kit settings were changed on the order, between the time it was shipped and when it was invoiced? Does this sales kit allow for changes on the sales order?

We opened an Epicor support case, and ended up having to upload our database for them to look at. We have not yet confirmed but they said the cause of the problem was on the Order the Time and Material checkbox was checked.

Does that make logical sense that if that checkbox is checked on the order and we have a kit it would result in 1 blank invoice for only the kit components? Maybe a better question is what is the intended use of the Time & Materials checkbox on the Order?

Edit: Explanation from our finance team as to why we check the Time and Materials checkbox: We check the time and material box on orders with a deposit. This ensures that in AR Invoice Entry, the invoice created will be on hold so we can review the amount of deposit applied to the invoice and retain enough deposit to ship remaining lines. We use this feature on a great number of our orders and it is necessary. It seems we have a problem and any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know that the Time and Materials box checked on an Order will prevent you from posting the invoice. It’s like a flag that says, “yeah, there’s a dollar amount for this line item, but it’s really variable. So it needs to be confirmed before generating the invoice.”

It’s why I mentioned it in post #4

Emphasis added …

@ckrusen thank you sir!!!

Based on what I understood from your explanation, it sounds to me like a bug. What’s your opinion/perspective, do you see a logical reason for this behavior(a sales order with a kit and the Time/materials checked, it will result in 2 invoices where 1 is blank)?

I’ve never seen it on an order with a kit. My experience (which is rare as we don’t use that “feature”), was that it would just prevent the invoice from posting. And if it happened on a shipment that was just for that one line, it wouldn’t have split it into two invoices. I don’t recall if a scenario in which one line had T&M enabled, if it would try to make that a separte invoice, so you could at least bill for the lines not affected by it.

Hello all,
If a Sales order has multiple lines and each line is shipped from different sites, is it a normal behavior wherein Epicor creates specific invoice for each site?
Is there anyway we can combine them into one invoice?
Maybe a setting?
thanks