Any Interest in a Coding Camp Type Thread?

I see a lot of posts where people are asking about how to code or do something code related. I was wondering if there was any interest in a single post topic where we just go through scenarios, and provide some examples, answer questions?

Periodically update the top post with links, etc.

I’m sure it would be a massive :dumpster_fire: , but I like those.

I’m not the best programmer on here, but I’d be willing to provide some limited time teaching. I’m sure others would as well, but please do not volunteer anyone, as most of those that immediately come to mind tend to have full plates already.

Those that want to help and have the time, will, I’d assume.

This is NOT the thread. This thread is just discussion on if there is interest, and how it would work.

13 Likes

Kevin,

Not a bad idea, but there’s already a ton of code on here. Not to date myself, but my “school training” was in COBOL and Assembly Language. I’ve been doing custom coding on Epicor since the early Vantage 8 days (like 2 decades now), and pretty much all the VB, then C# and now Application Studio. Most of the questions I’ve had over the years on “how do I do that” have answers on here - sometimes they’re a little bit hard to find but they’re mostly already answered. In general, I think a lot of the coding posts are already answered here - many times people post a question rather than digging for an answer that’s already here. I know I’ve pulled some solutions from the Pyromaniac along with many others!

If anything, probably just needs a little organizing. But that’s a big task!

1 Like

I am not even close to the great coders on this forum. Like Kevin, I’ve been doing it a while and with that time, one sees what happens when I work to “get it done.” Any time or money saved turns out to be a debt that will demand payment sometime in the future. So, if others are open to it, I’d love to add architecture ideas to this thread as well. How can we code to change the “old way” to something that is more resilient to changes and, if I may be so bold, more secure?

After four years of the DevOps idea being proposed (more like five since it predates Epicor Ideas) without any movement or comment, I think as users we might want to start taking our companies’ interest making it easier to upgrade more quickly into our own hands. Maybe sharing ideas that each of us do (or like to do) from an operations perspective would be useful?

3 Likes

That sounds reasonable @Mark_Wonsil.

1 Like

Kevin,

I love this idea! First post could be an index, like @hmwillett did with the Kinetic Control Compendium. That’s been so useful already! We’ve already got a ton on here, so I usually find what I need from a search, but there are (my own) knowledge gaps on how things work in code that need to be filled.

My background is more on the ops side of things (engineering, finance, etc… ) rather than development, and I don’t have the programmer knack - I just don’t think like one, so I have a challenge with creating a BPM that’s more than a simple if this, then that. But I can copy and modify code with the best of them, to get it done.

If this is done like a BPM cookbook style, where we can see a documented example and then use that to modify for our own situation, it’d be useful (for me at least!).

Another idea would be a actual coder school curriculum. Have a syllabus. Start with basics for the never-evers (e.g. what’s a variable), and each week have reading, assignments, a quiz. Cover nuances like making textbook generic C# work with Epicor conventions (e.g. using Linq). Have a capstone project that could be something from work that you’ve wanted to do, but was too hard. Maybe 12 weeks long?

I’d love to pay someone $ if I could enroll in something like that. If we got 10-20 people to sign up, maybe that’d be enough $ to entice someone to put it all together and run it 2-3x a year.

I’ve done extended ed, various insights classes, online coding courses, but it doesn’t stick (for me at least!) to make a permanent learning change unless I apply it often.

</stream of consciousness brain dump>

2 Likes

I would be interested. I’m not a coding genius like some but do know C#, JavaScript, HTML, SQL and some Oracle. However, it does become a challenge fitting things into the Epicor way of doing things.

Definitely interested in this. I know enough to be dangerous.

Very interested

The more we know, the more dangerous we get! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

For anyone completely new to C#, Microsoft and FreeCodeCamp offer a combo foundational level class that comes with a MS Learn certificate at the end. Just throwing it out there. https://www.freecodecamp.org/learn/foundational-c-sharp-with-microsoft/

I do like what @askulte had mentioned in his comment. That would be nice to have a cookbook type situation with real case scenarios to learn from and modify to fit.

2 Likes

That’s kind of what I was thinking. Questions answered, topics covered.

Both a free-for-all, and some structure, if that makes any sense.

Maybe more of a smoldering :dumpster_fire: , than a full on :fire: :dumpster_fire: :fire: :rofl:

3 Likes

@Mark_Wonsil , do I smell a Wiki? :laughing: :rofl: :laughing:

Another learning resource that I recently started using is EdX. It offers free classes that come from Universities. Since I did not take any computer classes in college, I started the CS50 Computer Science class from Harvard. It is fantastic! The first class went over bits and bytes, which I knew nothing about, and the instructor is really good at instructing and reinforcing. If anyone is looking for a way to expand their knowledge, I highly recommend it.

1 Like

That would be awesome, the big problem with that one is time.
I certainly don’t have it, and I don’t know anyone on here that does. :sob:

This guy clearly has some time. @Banderson

1 Like

I would love to see something like this. I am coming from a very outdated ERP platform to Epicor. I do have some VB background so was hoping this would be easier, but it has proven to not be so easy :frowning: maybe this dog is getting too old to learn new tricks.

Come On Yes GIF by Saturday Night Live

You want a Wiki.

Some days I wish that were the case! @josecgomez keeps me pretty busy nowadays. I don’t even feel like I have time to keep up with the new changes coming with Kinetic. I’m still stuck in Classic land…

Honestly, I think I just happened to have a decent looking headshot (cause they gave them away for free at insights last year), and that’s how I made it to “Featured Customer Speaker”… lol.

1 Like

I might take one this time, I’m already 43 lbs lighter :rofl:

chelsea peretti nonsense GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Now if we do this, I probably can’t keep up with it all on my own.

Those of you with privileges please feel free to edit the indexes in the top post, or whatever post is dedicated for that.