BPM that runs off of scheduled task may be causing issues with Task Agent

We have a similar set up like in the link below that we have been running for years now.
https://www.epiusers.help/t/using-a-task-agent-schedule-to-run-a-bpm-on-a-schedule/64944?u=livingstonmarc

In the last couple days, we are noticing that the Task Agent is sending all submitted tasks to immediate run request status while the BPM is running. There is a gap in the history on system monitor that matches the BPM run time. BPM takes around 45 minutes to fully run.

This was not happening 3 days ago, then for the last 2 days this has happened.

For anyone currently using a process like this, have you experienced any similar issues? We plan on moving this process to a function at some point, we just have not gotten to it yet.

If you only have one Task Agent and the BPM is linked to the task agent, new tasks won’t be able to run until the BPM is finished. Our system uses 3 task agents, so that other tasks can go while long-running tasks complete.

I’m more concerned about your BPM taking 45 minutes. What all is it doing that takes so long?

1 Like

Right now we have 2 task agents running on 2 different appservers. I restarted both task agents this morning, so I am hoping this resolves the issue.

BPM is a process that we made to make Part Revisions and Bills of material global between 1 main company and 3 child companies. Code runs for each company and pushes new revisions down to the other companies.

This was mentioned in that other thread (a year after the OP), but I do want to reiterate the idea of using a Function instead.

I’m not sure, but wouldn’t that allow for it to run while other tasks run?

1 Like

Schedules Epicor Functions still run through the task agent I think. But you’re definitely right that scheduled functions kind of negated the need for using this SysTask workaround, unless you’re trying to tie it to an already scheduled process (Using a BPM to email a CSV created by BAQ Export, for example)

Looks like our second task agent was having issues the 2 days this was happening. I restarted them both yesterday morning and the issue did not occur.

I have also set a task to get this moved to a function to keep this from happening in the future.