Configurator Operations Not Populating

I am stumped. In an effort to make this easier to follow, I setup a test to determine why Configurator will not up keep operations for a configurable part for a quote. This setup will, however, update the quote line item quantity via Document Rules but the operation doesn’t get included. I must be missing something simple. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have checked client side trace and server side logs and there are no errors reported.

Screenshots of the setup are below:

Part -

Part Revision -

Engineering Workbench -

Configurator Entry -

Configurator Rules -

Configurator Designer -

Thanks!

Are you multi-Site (Plant?) If you are logged into site 1, but you try to configure a part where the engineering/manufacturing is only in site 2, then you cannot pull those operations in because they don’t have a valid resource group for your site.

Good question @timshuwy. It’s is only one site.

It is feels like an access rights issue though. What logs would contain access related errors? Event Viewer nor Activity Log show anything out of the ordinary.

OK… so have you tried running the “Test” when in the Method rules to see what it keeps/doesnt keep? There is a combo at the top of the test results that allows you to choose Job vs Quote.
( I am assuming that you ARE running the “Get Details” in the quote).
Have you tried configuring this from a JOB yet?

1. create a job with this part
  2. assign a due date
  3. define a demand quantity
  4. “Get Details” and save… see if it works there.

It works correctly in the Test Rules. I should have mentioned that.

@timshuwy I knew it was something simple. It was “Get Details”. It’s been about six months since I looked at this.

In the original test environment I inherited, the OK button in Get Details under Method is enabled. It is not the new environment. Something isn’t configured right. I am searching documentation now. Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks!

@timshuwy The operation in the MOM had no resource. I setup one up and Get Details works fine now.

Thank you for all you help!

1 Like

Hi Tim,

I am having some unexpected difficulties with my configured part and I wonder if it is due to the multi site behavior.

You mention that “but you try to configure a part where the engineering/manufacturing is only in site 2, then you cannot pull those operations in”. Does this also stand true for when the configuration is done in Sales order entry? I suspect so… this will be a problem for us in that we have people entering orders from any of 3 sites for configured parts from any site. This would imply that they have to open Sales Order Entry from the site associated with the configured part to run the configurator. Is this true?

Also, do you have any recommendations on how to debug? I am struggling in that I cannot use MessageBox in rules and I’m not sure if there’s logging that’s decent that I’m missing somewhere…

Thanks,
Nancy

Nancy… if your configurator needs to create JOBS in three different sites, then you will need to have three Methods (one main + two alternates) and apply the Method rules to each of the methods. BUT… if the part is only manufactured in one site, I don’t believe you need the alternates. The sales order will need to point to the correct site (in OrderRel) and when MRP runs, the job will get created correctly.
RE Debugging… I typically debug the Method rules directly in Job Entry…

1. create a job for your configured part.
  2. Get Details - examine results
    If I want to have a “message” displayed, you obviously cannot have a message box because the method Rules are server side… BUT you can push messages into Material/Operation comments. I will sometimes do this for extremely difficult challenges. I will build up debug data into a Method Variable, and then push that method variable into one of the many comment fields available on the job.
1 Like

Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for reply. During configuration we need to create a part in the part master because we have to serial track the configured parts (they’re pumps). What I’m really surprised to find now is that if I click “configure” in Sales Order Entry, opened in my PA site, and the base part number getting configured has a part rev plant = Ohio, the configurator doesn’t make the method properly… It’s empty on the new part number. But if I open Sales Order Entry in Ohio site, and click configure, then I get the method made because the base part rev plant = where sales order entry was opened from.

It seems sort of nasty that people who click configure on a part in sales order entry will need to have opened sales order entry from a site that agrees with the part rev plant, or the configuration will fail… unless I’m doing something wrong… We have people in 3 plants entering sales orders for parts from any of the 3 plants.

Thanks for the idea on using a method variable to carry debug data. That should definitely help!

Nancy

1 Like

Yea, my second configurator customer (12-13 years ago) used the same configurator in ALL their sites… back in the Vantage 8.3 days, it was really a pain in the neck to maintain all the separate Methods. Now at least we have a “Copy” feature to copy the method rules from one method to another. But I do understand your concern about the part creation. Since most configurators i create do NOT create part numbers, I have not personally run into that problem.

1 Like