Custom styling Kinetic components in App Studio?

Morning all,

In the classic customization toolset, I was able to highlight fields that we deemed important by styling their background color. Is something like this possible in App Studio? I don’t see any styling related properties on components. Is there anyway to inject custom CSS into a layer?

Thanks!

We don’t allow for fine grained style control in the new ui for consistency, but you can still highlight fields using row rules in app studio to light up things with meaning. The color set there is currently limited but planned to expand basically typical traffic light good/bad/ok colors and one more for a neutral highlight, info.

So set up a row rule for the field the control is bound to to light it up.

4 Likes

This makes me unreasonably excited. :star_struck:

New background color options would be great but in general it’s great that the new background colors are a million miles better than the E10 ones which were way too dark. I hope any changes maintain the more transparent/light color styling. And that text label text can always be black instead of a hard to read color like the below.

Ultimately I’d love it if we could also define the foreground/text color too for a second level of information or more clarity for cells in grids given the selection coloring still messes everything up there but am guessing this isn’t likely to happen?

So, should this rule be highlighting the PartNum field? It doesn’t appear to be working.

[edit]Oops, I think I should have chosen SettingStyle.Status[/edit]

Hmm, still doesn’t seem to having any effect on the PartNum field.

Make sure you get the correct DataView.

**Not entirely certain why it’s highlighting the Description too, though.

I had tried the KeyFields view as well, but it didn’t have any effect either.

1 Like

Preview your application, then open the dev tools (F12).
Press CTRL+ALT+8 to start debugging.
Open a part number to go to the detail screen, then press CTRL+ALT+2 to view the active rules.
Does your rule show up?

***The debugging is when you run it in the browser, not the smart client.

1 Like

Unfortunately, we cannot currently use Kinetic in browser due to some issue with Azure AD that support says is getting fix in an August release.

Huh. Interestingly, mine does not highlight when in the smart client–only the browser.

In case everyone does not know this any text in our applications that is not up to WCAG AA readability standards at minimum is considered a bug. That picture is surely not and a bug which I’ll go see if we have filed.

1 Like

This happens with warning slider panels (Yellow on Light Gray)–should I submit that as a bug?

Well that would explain it then!

If we’re hearing more feedback from others about needing to highlight multiple different things simultaneously about one field I’d definitely consider some kind of secondary indicator, but nothing on the plan to do so at this time. I probably would not do a 2nd layered color as it’s hard to give uniform perception for people that way but there are other ways that would work. Interesting note.

1 Like

This happens with warning slider panels (Yellow on Light Gray)–should I submit that as a bug?

Already fixed :slight_smile: so no need, but yes this was a bug.

1 Like

Curious to know if you typed in that PartNum field… Or was it selected from the Combo?
Suggest try forcing it to select from the combo list.

I don’t know about @fvodden, but that drop down does not usually populate for me.

It did not populate when the KeyFields view was selected. It does if the Part view is selected.