Do change logs work for recording logged in user

Change logs have been enabled in our system. They look to be a standard directive BPM so I’m assuming not configurable as enabled by the system. We are not seeing the correct username recorded against the PO though. I have had enough examples of “It wasn’t me” from several different staff to warrant further investigation but as the BPM is not configurable not sure what options I have. Anybody else have issues?

Just curious which changes you are trying to capture
and the table(s) you have enabled ChgLogs for, which fields are selected in the BPM(s)?

Also, reminded me of an old topic

Matt,
If it’s on PO’s, maybe the other user could have been authorized buyers for the original buyer, or someone who has to approve once the buyer limit is exceeded? What if you increased the fields you changed logged for the PO Header & Detail tables temporarily to get more data. You should be able to see who created the PO, approved, changed price, etc…

The change logs were setup in another company and set as company independent so we’re inheriting what they’ve done.

Looks like they’ve set all fields to be logged.

The buyer security is pretty much wide open so I’m looking to restrict. Just thinking if it’s not recording the entry person correctly now there is still a chance it will still not work but at least I will prove the user being recorded will not have the rights to create the PO.

ouch…

I’d be really hesitant to take “it wasn’t me” at face value… can you give an example? The BPM fires on the writing of data to the appropriate data table, and it takes the logged-in user. If a user gave me the “it wasn’t me” then I’d ask who else had their password and could log in as them…

1 Like

I am normally with you Ernie but I have examples of this crossing between sites. We also have a BPM to show if the PO was from PO suggestions so with a PO with the wrong name from the other site and also drop ship (the person who’s name is in the entryperson field does not know how to do dropships) means I have enough to doubt this. I would say 98% of the POs are correct but just a few that are incorrect.

I don’t know if this is your issue, but one thing that is really confusing in Epicor is the change log viewer. It shows the user id of the last person who made a change on that record. That isn’t necessarily the same person who made every change on that record. It all just gets strung together in the description field. So for line 1, release 2, there may be a series of 4 different changes with 4 different dates and user ids. But in the user id field itself will only show the 4th person. You literally have to read the entire string to understand the change history on that particular record.

Matt, any chance this is due to Multi-Site/Multi-Company? Where you enter a purchase order in CompanyA, run the multi-company process, and it imports as a PO in CompanyB?

Hi Andris

Thanks for the suggestion but we’re not using the mult-company process