Docstar 10.1.500 vs 10.1.600

What features won’t work if we implement docstar on our current 10.1.500 versus waiting until we go to 10.1.600. I keep hearing that it’s fully integrated in 10.1.600 but that doesn’t really tell me much.

there is no DocStar attachments in Erp 10.1.500

1 Like

So does it basically work just like the old APM then? You have to print to it?

Hi Jason,

The first difference is in the Document Types. In .500 you have FileSystem, SharePoint, etc. In .600+, you’ll see DocStar as an option.

DocStar integration also does some meta-data mapping (which I think SharePoint attachments do) where Epicor maps fields in E10 to indices in DocStar. These mapping are user-definable. So when you add a Customer Purchase order document type to a Sales Order for example, after it prompts you for the file name and comments, it automatically maps the sales order number, the customer name, and the customer PO fields from the Sales Order to the attachment. Then in the DocStar interface, you can search on these fields.

Finally, in addition to the Add, Delete, View buttons in the attachment pane, there’s a View As DocStar button, which opens the document in the DocStar browser and you can look at document history, approvals, etc.

I didn’t use APM but to attach a document, you don’t have to print it to an APM printer. Also, you can use the new Advance Print Routing in .600+ to do various things similar to APM+.

Mark W.

1 Like

Jason,

Mark is effectively correct. We are at 500 as well and I just had a technical conversation with the DocStar guys on Monday. They confirmed that no integration is available in 500, only 600, but it’s better at 10.2 (newly released to SaaS group but not us on-premise guys yet).

Also, Advanced Print Routing (APR) is mandatory to use DocStar. APR is the APM replacement, but has so much more along the lines of Breaking/Routing capabilities and uses the same BPM-like workflow editor with some new objects to allow for simultaneous printing, emailing, and document attaching based on values within the dataset for the document being printed (e.g. Terms and Conditions.pdf based on the Current Company or Part# of the Quote form being printed). All of this sort of stuff is done by creating multiple Print Styles for a given document.

DocStar also has a workflow editor (additional $$) to really extend the document processing and repository functionality. We have a demo of that tomorrow.

Hope that helps.

In addition to the Workflow Editor ($), there is a Package Editor ($) which allows one to create document sets - I need a customer PO, a customer drawing, and an engineering spec until the package is “complete”. Finally, there is also an AP module ($$$) that can take in AP Invoices and import them into an AP group into Epicor.

Mark W.

Have you purchased docStar Mark? We’re in the UK, purchased it at end of Sept and just commencing implementation.

Yes. We’ve purchased the Workflow and Package Modules and are planning the AP integration for next year.

Mark W.

How did this integration go?

If you use DocLink APM only then I don’t believe you need to purchase DocStar. APR which is part of default Epicor does what APM did.