How do I pass BAQ Parameters into a custom SSRS report?

Hi all,

I’m working on replacing some outdated crystal reports inside of Epicor.
I think I’ve finally got my BAQ the way I want it, and the performance (so far) seems to be miles ahead of the current crystal report I want to move away from.

Now that I think I have the BAQ where I want it, I was looking into the report designer so that I can start creating the layout of the report.

I did some reading in a few threads, but I’m not sure I’m following. @ckrusen might be the one to call out for help :stuck_out_tongue:

What I want to do is pass a few parameters into the report/BAQ, as the report is Budget v Actual for different departments.

Let me know what else I can provide.

Thanks guys!

Have you looked into the BAQ Designer’s Option Fields when running the report?

I’m looking at that now, is it possible in the options field to allow a drop down?

Or would that require the filter / sort?

Edit: I want to filter based on BudgetCodeID, but I’m only showing FiscalPeriod/Year

@AaronGDL I just did my first passing of BAQreport parameters and it will likely be by last. My intent going forward is to follow the technique below to create it from scratch so it is more like a system report.

1 Like

Yeah, this thing so far has been a bit of a pain, mostly moving away from Crystal.

I’ll have to do some searching as I will need to learn about creating the RDD from scratch and whatnot.

Some thoughts and a question.

• There are BAQ Reports
  • There are Reports based on a BAQ
  • These are not the same thing.

BAQ Report Designer is an easy way to make a BAQ Report. I don’t think you can do parameters with that, though.

But if you create a Report Data Definition, you can base it on a BAQ, and it finds the parameters automatically, and there’s even a button to create the prompts for you. This is much easier than I thought it would be. The implementation guide explains it well.

My question, is this: as far as I know, there is no way to make an RDD from scratch (not a copy of an existing one) and then link it to an existing report style. I mean, how do I link my parameters and fields to the existing style’s submission form? Has anyone ever done that? I think everyone just works off of a copy.

So I created my RDD and added criteria prompts;

I created a report and report style:

In menu maintenance, it seems to be changing my URL

What setup do I need to do so that I can test the report and passing in parameters?

I don’t really understand the URL bit. For a different report, mine looks like this:

You don’t need a customization, but the title bar sure is ugly if you don’t. Unless there is an easy step I am missing.

Alright; so starting from the beginning:

Here are the BAQ parameters, in the designer the BAQ runs with no issue:

Report Data Definition Criteria Set/Prompts created

Report style created:

Menu maintenance setup:

I’m able to navigate to the menu and attempt to run the report; but receiving an error in the system monitor.

I think you picked the wrong “Report…” in menu maintenance. I think you referenced the BAQ Report and not the RDD version.

That’s all I’m seeing, maybe I missed something in the setup?

Right, your screenshots make sense, but the error references the BAQ report. I don’t know; you might just need to start from scratch and use a different name for everything.

So I’m working on recreating that from scratch now, I’ll see how it goes. Assuming I’m able to get that up and running, is it possible that instead of a text box input, I can use a Combo box and pre selected values?

Or something along those lines?

Thanks,

Aaron Lowery