Opening Attachments Discussion

i see thanks.
as far as I know it is browser-side setting though.

I’m not trying to be confrontational, but this is just how file urls have worked for years.
The Kinetic UI should just serve up the link, and the browser/os decides how to open it.

It could even be configurable in the site/company setup.

Serve straight files (ie: “https://fileurl”)
Serve with handler (ie: "ms-excel:ofv|ofc|u|fileurl)

3 Likes

this is more question for Brian, I don’t know, if this was discussed…

But I see there is a View colum with links on this UI. What happens when there are clicked?

@Olga that will open up the file directly IF it is a local file. For ECM users, that button opens the file in ECM and consumes a license.

1 Like

Attachment usage within ERP / Kinetic has a number of different rules and settings and the Browser code is maturing to provide as close to the same behavior as the Smart Client. As a result, there are ongoing adjustments to this behavior.

One thing to look for on your ECM Attachment configuration in Kinetic - are you setup for Server file transfer or Client file transfer. If set for Server, all access to ECM is supposed to go through the Kinetic AppServer so the only license consumed is the AppServer communicating with ECM.
There was a misunderstanding of this functionality and the Kinetic UI team thought ECM view/download was always handled by going direct to the URL - I believe this is / has been addressed.

@klincecum - we treat attachments as Secured documents so direct http/https access is typically not something that would work - but we do allow Client Side direct access depending on how the Attachment type has been configured. For ECM / SharePoint, (Dropbox and G-Drive ??), the Client Side configuration presents a challenge and requires logon. Regardless, attachment access is something we are refining / improving.

4 Likes

Thanks for letting us know that this is on Epicor’s radar and that it is being worked on. That is all I really need to know.

I wasn’t suggesting you provide direct links without auth, just providing an example of functionality.
Links can always be dynamic and built on the fly or authenticated in some way.

Thanks very much for the response.

ECM was mentioned a few times here.

What about the simple document link that goes back to Vantage 8.03.

Basic functionality

1. Drag and drop the file to table you want to link to, Part or PartRev, JobHead, JobOper, or JobMtl

2. Ability to view in a simple link on a dashboard that is pointing to the file location and displays the PDF, JPG, etc.

While it would be nice to have the print routine to print the attached documents when you print the traveler, if the 2) capability exists, you would be able to go paperless.

Is Epicor pushing this capability out to drive you to have to buy ECM?

Just spit balling an idea of the back off the back of @klincecum default program opening suggestion.

If you are working in Chrome, you could utilise chrome extensions and develop a function to create a URL and “Redirect” as such.

1. Add chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/

2 .Then in your function build a URL (you can use Path.GetExtension from you file path to trigger it down different routes)
e.g:

PDF:
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/YourFilePath

Excel:
chrome-extension://gbkeegbaiigmenfmjfclcdgdpimamgkj/YourFilePath

Output example PDF:

Update: we managed to get this working, we had to do some work on the IIS for mime type.

The example shown will enable the download of the file via in your web app.

2 Likes