RMA for BTO item

Created an RMA for a BTO (Buy To Order) item, but when I try to receive it, it balks saying a warehouse and bin are required. But you cannot select a warehouse or bin for a part that is not in the system.

I was hoping the receipt of a BTO part would ignore any inventory transactions, and just put the cost back into the appropriate GL acct (we use a GLCtrl for PartClass for BTO item to keep their costs separate from Inventory).

Will I have to create a Part entry, with QtyBearing enabled, to allow the RMA to “return” it to Inventory?

If we are to then re-ship that order line via a Customer Shipment, would it pull the part from Inventory, or just handle it like its a BTO shipment (no Inv Trans, just the GLC)

Did you try the default bin for the warehouse? (it’s Gen 1 for us) Many times it lets you use that one, even if it’s not actually going to put it in inventory.

The Warehouse and Bin fields are disabled :frowning:

Hi Calvin,

We had some similar problems with freeform (i.e. not part master) parts on BTO that were accidentally received in rather than processed straight through on customer shipment. It was like the part went to no man’s land. This was in E9, not sure how it behaves today. (We put a bpm in so that users can only use BTO of freeform part if it is drop shipped to ensure we never try to receive it in).

I think you will need to make it a part so it can be processed. I doubt you’ll be able to tie the RMA to the original sales order however. Part Advisor is the only place we’ve been able to see some history of what happened with the freeform part nos.

Nancy

In E10, a BTO item on a PO get coded as “Buy For: Other”.

When the PO is received, there is no inventory transaction - because the part is not in the system, or is not Qty Bearing.

But there is a PartTran that will generate a GL tran. If no GLCtlr’s are in play the receipt of the BTO line creates a PUR-UKN, which ends up hitting the Inventory GL like it was a stocked part.

I was hoping the RMA would do the same, just hit the GL acct that the BTO part originally hit. You’d have no more or less visibility of the BTO item being “on hand”, but it would be just like it was never shipped. And if it was later shipped against the original order everything would flow normally. If it was to be returned to the supplier, the normal flow of a returned purchase would follow.