Service Contract posting changes

We are testing Service Contracts and everything looks great up to invoicing and posting. It looks like standardly it all roles up to one GL. We need to take each line item on the contract to go to there correct GL. I am looking for a little guidance to edit the posting rules to make this happen. I don’t want to make it harder than it has to be.

I would double check the Product Group that is being assigned to each line.

I checked and the Group is assigned to each line in the contract. Do you know where it gets applied? I’m looking in the Posting rules and AR Invoice looks like it only works if there is a separate invoice line and on Contracts they only pull in one invoice line. Is there a way to bring in the Contract lines as invoice lines? I think that would work.

It’s been a while since I used the Contract functionality so bear with me. I’m assuming that the multiple contract lines are different products that are covered under the contract? And the one line on the sales order/invoice is for the contract as a whole?

Why would you want the invoice to go to multiple gl accounts?

Director of Accounting doesn’t want it rolled up to one GL. If we invoice the customer currently the line items go to different GL’s. They like that. I may need to investigate if we can modify the Get Contract Billing. Do you know if we can.

I’m sure you can but it sounds very messy. So you are switching from not using the Contract module to using the module?

Not really. We are planning on using the Contract module. It works for our need other than the invoicing. we have multiple lines with part on the contract. in the invoice we changed the print form to list the Items and there pricing correctly. The invoice when posted only has one entry and therefore only one GL Account. we want to have each Item with there costs posted as if we had a invoice manually entered with multiple lines. each Item going to their proper GL. I looked in the posting rules and don’t see how I can do it with only one invoice line pulled in from the contract. Any suggestions.

Off the top of my head, you would probably have to find some field you can key off of or create a UD field. Then you could probably traverse back to the Contract to get the individual lines and post based on that field.

You might also want to see if you can do a Contract as a Sales Kit? Then have it explode on the Invoice. Just a thought.

@pchestnut Have you ever used the PE Log Viewer? You can see the guts of how the Posting Engine works, so as to nail down how to modify the rules.

We are just starting to use service contracts here, so I can’t give specific advice. But if you do need to modify posting rules, it’s an enormous help. Or it might show you that you don’t need to modify them after all.

What you do is

• open the viewer
  • probably clear the log out, if you are like me
  • check the relevant box in the list
  • run the edit list in invoice entry
  • and then open the PE Log for that edit list that you just did

And enjoy reading The Matrix.

1 Like