SURVEY: What kind of jobs do you create, and how?

We are trying to understand our customer base, and determine how certain features are used. For todays Question:
When you manually create a job, what kind of job are you creating it for, and how do you do it? (when i say “Most”, I mean "at least 80% of the jobs).
Feel free to add comments to your answer.

• Most manually created jobs are Make to Stock
  • Most manually created jobs are Make to Order
  • Most manually created jobs are Make to Job
  • The jobs we manually create are a broad mix of the above
  • We rarely manually create jobs in Job Entry, but use Job Wizard, or MRP, or the Quick Job Entry to create them.
  • We do not use jobs

0 voters

Just to expand a little on my vote “Most manually created jobs are Make to Order” Related to a couple sites that sell capitol equipment.
After a top level job is created, MRP generates a mix of “To Stock” & “To Job” jobs and PO’s.

One thing that has come up MANY times in this scenario… “how the “To Stock” “stuff” can be linked to the Order”?
When I have tried pegging, not quite what users were looking for…
ended up “kludging” something custom to tie lower level stock materials to a top level job/order.
e.g. add the “top level” job for the piece of capital equipment, run immediately MRP and for every new job/PO that results, note the top level job. (usually in a UD table).

My experience has been that sites like lower level components “To Stock” (“not” NonStock) because it results in fewer transactions/jobs/PORel’s in their operations. The downside being that it becomes more difficult for planning or to get an indented status view from the top level job.

Just wondering if others have similar experiences/solutions?

2 Likes

What about using the planning workbench to create a job? Is this considered manual or not?

Thx,
Nancy

2 Likes

Good point… that is one way that I personally rarely use or have taught, but it is a valid way. But that would fall into that category of using “Job Wizard, or MRP, or the Quick Job Entry to create them.”… it Planning workbench should have been there.

1 Like

When we manually create jobs, its usually for parts on the fly (using order job wizard) so we can DMT in the job details.

1 Like

Mixed modes , depends on a few factors but mostly MTO.

More complex assemblies may get split out. Top level being MTO and the sub assemblies being either MTJ or MTS, again dependant on the routing of that particular assembly.

SO FAR… it seems that MOST people (52%) do not create jobs in Job Entry, but use another tool. I may have asked the question incorrectly. But as I research, I want to know, IF it was easier to manually create jobs within Job Entry instead of Quick Job, or the Job Wizard, would you do it? or do you find the process of manually creating a new stock job just too difficult?

Software limitations, I can’t think of anything right now ( but… I’ve been building methods for a long time)
However, MTO capitol equipment (again) is the area where I’ve seen jobs get “interesting”. Usually when a “pure” engineering dept was responsible for original BOM… did not know/care too much about operations, how a thing would actually be built. In these cases it can take someone a lot of time to translate into a decent job structure with realistic operations.

hahah… “Manufacturing Engineers” would take offence to that comment… When I was doing Implementation Reviews for customers, I would often ask the question: “Do you have Sales Engineers, Design Engineers, or Manufacturing engineers?” It was always interesting the answers i would receive. The (over simplistic) differences are:

• Sales Engineers - often design on a paper napkin
  • Design Engineers - create formal drawings and specifications on how the finished product looks and works
  • Manufacturing Engineers - Create documents that tell how to make what the other engineers designed.

In reality, it takes all three to make a good consistent product. without the ME, the choice on how to make it is left to the manufacturing team themselves.

3 Likes