Transferring Report Builder reports from 4.0 to 6.1

Thanks to both Todd and Jim for your help on this. I will keep plugging away at it. You can expect more questions from me as I go through it.
Thanks!
Beth

Todd Caughey <caugheyt@...> wrote:
Basically, yes, each report's connection will need to be changed....to work on it. They will still run from within Vantage 6.1 but when running them from the development screen they will run from whatever DB the connection says to use. In addition to the path to the database you also need to change the service name under the Options button.

I still have many Epic52 and Mfgsys60 related reports that run fine from the Vantage menus but need to be changed as I run across them to make changes. So you do not need to change them all...just anything that needs to be changed to reflect new field names in 6.1...of which there are many, especially quantity type fields that now start with "Our".

There is an option in RB to always display the connection box in the developer mode when opening a report which makes it easier to note, and correct, report as you open them rather than getting a connection error message.

-Todd C.

Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:55 PM
To: Vantage Users
Subject: [Vantage] Transferring Report Builder reports from 4.0 to 6.1

We are going from version 4.0 to 6.1 and I need to transfer our reports in Report Builder. I made a new library in the 6.1 Report Builder that I titled "reports61". And I made a new database connection in report builder for 6.1. I am able to create new reports that draw data from the 6.1 database, but I'm having problems with the existing 4.0 reports. They still draw data from 4.0 even when I open them from the 6.1 Report Builder. I tried adding the 6.1 database connection on the 4.0 reports, but it still draws from 4.0. Since we are in the process of upgrading from 4.0 to 6.1, we have both versions on my computer. They are on separate servers. How can I copy these existing reports from 4.0 into my new 6.1 library so that they pull data from 6.1? Do I need to enter a new database connection for each report, and delete the old connection? I am not an IT person so please put it in simple terms so I can understand. I want to be able to run the same report in both
4.0 and 6.1 so that I can compare the output to determine whether or not the 4.0 report structure will work in 6.1. Hope this make sense to someone. I can use any help.
Thanks,
Beth

---------------------------------
Building a website is a piece of cake.
Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Please be aware that any use, printing, copying, disclosure or dissemination of this communication may be subject to legal restriction or sanction. If you think you have received this message in error, please reply to the sender.

For more information please visit www.harveyvogel.com

We are going from version 4.0 to 6.1 and I need to transfer our reports in Report Builder. I made a new library in the 6.1 Report Builder that I titled "reports61". And I made a new database connection in report builder for 6.1. I am able to create new reports that draw data from the 6.1 database, but I'm having problems with the existing 4.0 reports. They still draw data from 4.0 even when I open them from the 6.1 Report Builder. I tried adding the 6.1 database connection on the 4.0 reports, but it still draws from 4.0. Since we are in the process of upgrading from 4.0 to 6.1, we have both versions on my computer. They are on separate servers. How can I copy these existing reports from 4.0 into my new 6.1 library so that they pull data from 6.1? Do I need to enter a new database connection for each report, and delete the old connection? I am not an IT person so please put it in simple terms so I can understand. I want to be able to run the same report in both
4.0 and 6.1 so that I can compare the output to determine whether or not the 4.0 report structure will work in 6.1. Hope this make sense to someone. I can use any help.
Thanks,
Beth

Basically, yes, each report's connection will need to be changed....to work on it. They will still run from within Vantage 6.1 but when running them from the development screen they will run from whatever DB the connection says to use. In addition to the path to the database you also need to change the service name under the Options button.

I still have many Epic52 and Mfgsys60 related reports that run fine from the Vantage menus but need to be changed as I run across them to make changes. So you do not need to change them all...just anything that needs to be changed to reflect new field names in 6.1...of which there are many, especially quantity type fields that now start with "Our".

There is an option in RB to always display the connection box in the developer mode when opening a report which makes it easier to note, and correct, report as you open them rather than getting a connection error message.

-Todd C.

Subject: [Vantage] Transferring Report Builder reports from 4.0 to 6.1

Thanks,
Beth

Please be aware that any use, printing, copying, disclosure or dissemination of this communication may be subject to legal restriction or sanction. If you think you have received this message in error, please reply to the sender.

For more information please visit www.harveyvogel.com

Beth,
When you open the 4.0 report and the connect database window opens are
you updating this to reflect the new server and database location and
then saving when you exit? The physical name(mapped drive location of
mfgsys.db), Host name(name of your server) and service name(6100 for
live database) should all be changed to the 6.1 information. When we did
our conversion I would open the 4.0 report change the connect database
information, the field that are no longer used will produce a pop up
menu. Make a quick list of these as they pop up. Then update to the new
fields. When done then do a save as and save it to the new library you
have created for your 6.1 reports. If you have reports that are working
that have been created in 6.1 you could do a print screen of the connect
database screen to make you sure the reports you change are pointing to
the correct locations.

Jim

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Beth Castillo
Subject: [Vantage] Transferring Report Builder reports from 4.0
to 6.1

We are going from version 4.0 to 6.1 and I need to transfer our
reports in Report Builder. I made a new library in the 6.1 Report
Builder that I titled "reports61". And I made a new database connection
in report builder for 6.1. I am able to create new reports that draw
data from the 6.1 database, but I'm having problems with the existing
4.0 reports. They still draw data from 4.0 even when I open them from
the 6.1 Report Builder. I tried adding the 6.1 database connection on
the 4.0 reports, but it still draws from 4.0. Since we are in the
process of upgrading from 4.0 to 6.1, we have both versions on my
computer. They are on separate servers. How can I copy these existing
reports from 4.0 into my new 6.1 library so that they pull data from
6.1? Do I need to enter a new database connection for each report, and
delete the old connection? I am not an IT person so please put it in
simple terms so I can understand. I want to be able to run the same
report in both
4.0 and 6.1 so that I can compare the output to determine
whether or not the 4.0 report structure will work in 6.1. Hope this make
sense to someone. I can use any help.
Thanks,
Beth