What Screen Width the majority of your users use for Kinetic

It has come to my attention that there may be some confusion about the “correct” screen size for Kinetic. So… rather than tell you what you SHOULD be doing, it is time for another survey.

What SCREEN WIDTH do you and the majority of your users use to access Kinetic? (choose the answer closest to your usage):

• Greater than 1600 Wide
  • 1360 or 1366
  • we use a teletype

0 voters

I use 1680x1050 and typically have my browser set to 100%, but sometimes drop it to 90% to fit more onto the screen.

I’m surprised this information isn’t collected by the application itself :hushed:

In general, I don’t think screen resolution is sent from browsers. There are some JavaScript-y ways to do it…but then you get into the whole privacy thing since that could be used to fingerprint users along with other attributes.

I’d like to see the correlation between screen resolution and age… :laughing:

3 Likes

It was by the feedback button at the least

1 Like

I’m forgetting there are people that can go full browser already. I still have to use the old winforms for some things still.

1 Like

IF customers opt-in, we can see some of this data… but if i take a survey, I might get a better cross culture set of info including older version (not just cloud).

If you take a survey, you’re getting a select group of respondents - developer type folks, that know the value of screen space.

A better question would have been, “What Screen Width do your users use for Kinetic”

:wink:

well… i kinda did ask that question:

1 Like

And now we highlight the problem that most people don’t really read. lol

3 Likes

3 Likes

I edited the question to be more obvious about asking for the MAJORITY of your users… Feel free to change your votes.

In general, I don’t think screen resolution is sent from browsers.

Browser display size definitely is, most of the usual cohort of analytics services track that by default. That’s actually why Tor is only resizable to specific incremental sizes, to reduce the tracking value of window dimensions. I’d also be a little surprised if the Kinetic web app doesn’t keep track of display dimensions, but haven’t had the motivation to sift through the network traffic. Displayed size can be a valuable metric for UI/UX folks, especially now as they should be doing the bulk of work on responsive layout.

I don’t have enough info to vote in this poll, but I have opened several support cases about resolution issues where the computer clearly meets the published epicor hardware requirements (can’t remember offhand what the display resolution is) and still things just don’t show up in kinetic. Like for example, the tag that tells you whether an order is open or closed - just not there.

Some (but not all) of it is fixed by going to 100%, some I’m told are fixed in 2022. A lot of users on older machines/shop floor prefer 125% for visibility so telling them they have to go to 100% for kinetic to work isn’t fun. Its not a workaround when it diminishes the functionality of your system.

I think if kinetic truly requires a bigger display than whatever E10 required when those guidelines were written, then Epicor should update the guidelines. At least that way I would have something to go on and I could go to management to purchase larger monitors. Right now all I have are unhappy users.

See how you measure up to the rest of the world: Desktop Screen Resolution Stats Worldwide | Statcounter Global Stats

Alisa, can you point me to the hardware guide that you are using? I want to make sure that whatever we are publishing is what you are seeing.

If I run 2 monitors (yeah, I said that instead of displays) at 1920x1080 each, should I say I’m 3840x1080?

And FWIW - I run remote desktop sessions at 1440x900, in a window instead of full screen.

Kinetic_ClientHardwareGuide_2022.2.pdf (98.5 KB)