XL connect - your experience?

That’s a good point RobHunter, the licensing scheme is highly unusual. I forgot to mention that. It is per windows username. This means that if Sue in accounting uses a computer (signed in as Sue) with XLConnect from 9-3 and Betsy comes in 3-9 and uses the SAME computer (signed in as Betsy), Betsy can’t use XLConnect on that SAME computer without buying a second license. Extremely odd, I haven’t seen any other software work this way in the 20 years I have been managing systems.

The workaround is of course to put it on a virtual machine, set up a generic “XLConnect” account, then RDP in to use it. Then multiple people can share a license. The downside is that the same security rights apply to anyone who accesses it in this way.

Wow, that would have a large impact if I was making a decision. That is an awful practice and I hope they are smart enough to change it asap.

That licensing scheme seems as bad as the old Novell NetWare licensing. You bought user licenses by the max number of users you expected.

The breaks were crazy spaced, like: 10, 50, then 250. You have 51 users? Buy the 250 user pack.

1 Like

I have been using it for a few weeks now. It has a tonne of potential but I struggle with some things that should and look like they would be easy and powerful, but do not work. I have built reports based on cell reference for easy editing, but the cell referencing does not work and values stay locked. Frustrating.

Aside from that it is easy to construct reports. The broad cast tool has allowed me to automate many things, but again it seems to not function periodically.

Bit late to the party, but I want to offer my experiences as well. XLConnect had been impossible to get going. I switched to FastClose and never looked back. Very easy install, intuitive UI and the support from the FastClose team has been incredible. Reach out to them at fastclose.uk, get a trial version and see for yourself…

Paul