905 installation - Admin workstation vs. server

I think you have loaded 64 bit Openedge, it is "Server" only.
I am running 32 Bit Openedge on my Windows 7, it has all 22 programs. We are planning to go to 9.05.601 after it is released. We will go to 64 bit Openedge at a later time.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Vantage Email" <vantageemail@...> wrote:
>
> Can I get some more details on that? I'd prefer to run the progress explorer on the server (Windows 7 64-bit), instead of having to install on a couple PCs.
>
> Right now, the start menu on the server under "OpenEdge 10.2A" doesn't have "Progress Explorer Tool" listed. It only has 13 programs and my PC (Windows XP) has 22 programs. The shortcut on my PC is: "C:\Program Files\epicor\oe102a\bin\jvmStartw.exe" -f "c:\program files\epicor\oe102a\proexp.prm". I can find both those files on the server, but which one do I change? The java startup? Tried choosing vista under compatibility for that file (XP wasn't an option), but it didn't help.
>
> Also, I thought the progress explorer was an MMC snapin,
>
> Thanks,
> Brian.
>
> ________________________________
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Dan Sirow
> Sent: Tue 9/14/2010 12:07 PM
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Vantage] Re: 905 installation - Admin workstation vs. server
>
>
>
>
>
>
> If you load a test server on Windows 7 64bit, you can set the progress explorer to run compatible with Windows XP - works great
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> , "Vantage Email" <vantageemail@> wrote:
> >
> > Some of the install instruction wording confused me too at first reading. The reason is that some of the 9.05 administration tools (eg progress explorer) can't run on a 64-bit machine. You need to also install on a separate 32-bit "admin workstation" (which can just be your PC). In the install instructions, if you see the wording "...on your server and Windows Admin workstation..." at the beginning of a section, it means you'll have to do that section *twice*. Later on in the section, the documentation will just say "server", but it actually means once on the server, and once on your PC.
> >
> >
> > Brian Roberts
> >
> > Business Systems Analyst
> >
> > Ground Effects Ltd
> >
> > broberts@
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> >
> > From: vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> on behalf of greg.middleton11
> > Sent: Mon 9/13/2010 4:21 PM
> > To: vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
> > Subject: [Vantage] 905 installation - Admin workstation vs. server
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > I am starting an installation of 905 on a new 2008 server and have some confusion about what is installed on the server vs. what is installed on the Windows Admin workstation. The documentation says to load the DVD into the Admin workstation and go through the installation steps and then 'reboot the server'. Is this is just another case of poor documentation or am I missing something obvious? The way the documentation reads it seems that the 905 software and OpenEdge will be installed completely on the Admin workstation and not the server. Can anybody that has been through this share some insight?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
I am starting an installation of 905 on a new 2008 server and have some confusion about what is installed on the server vs. what is installed on the Windows Admin workstation. The documentation says to load the DVD into the Admin workstation and go through the installation steps and then 'reboot the server'. Is this is just another case of poor documentation or am I missing something obvious? The way the documentation reads it seems that the 905 software and OpenEdge will be installed completely on the Admin workstation and not the server. Can anybody that has been through this share some insight?
Some of the install instruction wording confused me too at first reading. The reason is that some of the 9.05 administration tools (eg progress explorer) can't run on a 64-bit machine. You need to also install on a separate 32-bit "admin workstation" (which can just be your PC). In the install instructions, if you see the wording "...on your server and Windows Admin workstation..." at the beginning of a section, it means you'll have to do that section *twice*. Later on in the section, the documentation will just say "server", but it actually means once on the server, and once on your PC.

Brian Roberts

Business Systems Analyst

Ground Effects Ltd

broberts@...

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com on behalf of greg.middleton11
Sent: Mon 9/13/2010 4:21 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] 905 installation - Admin workstation vs. server

I am starting an installation of 905 on a new 2008 server and have some confusion about what is installed on the server vs. what is installed on the Windows Admin workstation. The documentation says to load the DVD into the Admin workstation and go through the installation steps and then 'reboot the server'. Is this is just another case of poor documentation or am I missing something obvious? The way the documentation reads it seems that the 905 software and OpenEdge will be installed completely on the Admin workstation and not the server. Can anybody that has been through this share some insight?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
There is a registry edit that you can perform that will allow Progress Explorer to run on a 64-bit machine. I can't find the documentation, but it is out on epicweb somewhere.

--Matt

>
> Some of the install instruction wording confused me too at first reading. The reason is that some of the 9.05 administration tools (eg progress explorer) can't run on a 64-bit machine. You need to also install on a separate 32-bit "admin workstation" (which can just be your PC). In the install instructions, if you see the wording "...on your server and Windows Admin workstation..." at the beginning of a section, it means you'll have to do that section *twice*. Later on in the section, the documentation will just say "server", but it actually means once on the server, and once on your PC.
>
>
> Brian Roberts
>
> Business Systems Analyst
>
> Ground Effects Ltd
>
> broberts@...
>
>
>
>
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com on behalf of greg.middleton11
> Sent: Mon 9/13/2010 4:21 PM
> Subject: [Vantage] 905 installation - Admin workstation vs. server
>
>
>
>
>
> I am starting an installation of 905 on a new 2008 server and have some confusion about what is installed on the server vs. what is installed on the Windows Admin workstation. The documentation says to load the DVD into the Admin workstation and go through the installation steps and then 'reboot the server'. Is this is just another case of poor documentation or am I missing something obvious? The way the documentation reads it seems that the 905 software and OpenEdge will be installed completely on the Admin workstation and not the server. Can anybody that has been through this share some insight?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
If you load a test server on Windows 7 64bit, you can set the progress explorer to run compatible with Windows XP - works great

>
> Some of the install instruction wording confused me too at first reading. The reason is that some of the 9.05 administration tools (eg progress explorer) can't run on a 64-bit machine. You need to also install on a separate 32-bit "admin workstation" (which can just be your PC). In the install instructions, if you see the wording "...on your server and Windows Admin workstation..." at the beginning of a section, it means you'll have to do that section *twice*. Later on in the section, the documentation will just say "server", but it actually means once on the server, and once on your PC.
>
>
> Brian Roberts
>
>
> Ground Effects Ltd
>
> broberts@...
>
>
>
>
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com on behalf of greg.middleton11
>
>
>
>
>
> I am starting an installation of 905 on a new 2008 server and have some confusion about what is installed on the server vs. what is installed on the Windows Admin workstation. The documentation says to load the DVD into the Admin workstation and go through the installation steps and then 'reboot the server'. Is this is just another case of poor documentation or am I missing something obvious? The way the documentation reads it seems that the 905 software and OpenEdge will be installed completely on the Admin workstation and not the server. Can anybody that has been through this share some insight?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Thank you for confirming, this is what I suspected but wanted to make
certain before moving forward. The documentation plainly says to get
started by loading the DVD into the Admin workstation, not the server. I
found myself questioning it right out of the gates.

Also, I have a D drive where my RAID10 partition is, is it safe to install
everything (Progress, 9.05) there, or will it expect to have anything
installed on the C drive?

_____

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Vantage Email
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 12:00 PM
Subject: RE: [Vantage] 905 installation - Admin workstation vs. server

Some of the install instruction wording confused me too at first reading.
The reason is that some of the 9.05 administration tools (eg progress
explorer) can't run on a 64-bit machine. You need to also install on a
separate 32-bit "admin workstation" (which can just be your PC). In the
install instructions, if you see the wording "...on your server and Windows
Admin workstation..." at the beginning of a section, it means you'll have to
do that section *twice*. Later on in the section, the documentation will
just say "server", but it actually means once on the server, and once on
your PC.

Brian Roberts

Business Systems Analyst

Ground Effects Ltd

broberts@... <mailto:broberts%40gfxltd.com>

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> on behalf
of greg.middleton11
Sent: Mon 9/13/2010 4:21 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Vantage] 905 installation - Admin workstation vs. server

I am starting an installation of 905 on a new 2008 server and have some
confusion about what is installed on the server vs. what is installed on the
Windows Admin workstation. The documentation says to load the DVD into the
Admin workstation and go through the installation steps and then 'reboot the
server'. Is this is just another case of poor documentation or am I missing
something obvious? The way the documentation reads it seems that the 905
software and OpenEdge will be installed completely on the Admin workstation
and not the server. Can anybody that has been through this share some
insight?

Can I get some more details on that? I'd prefer to run the progress explorer on the server (Windows 7 64-bit), instead of having to install on a couple PCs.

Right now, the start menu on the server under "OpenEdge 10.2A" doesn't have "Progress Explorer Tool" listed. It only has 13 programs and my PC (Windows XP) has 22 programs. The shortcut on my PC is: "C:\Program Files\epicor\oe102a\bin\jvmStartw.exe" -f "c:\program files\epicor\oe102a\proexp.prm". I can find both those files on the server, but which one do I change? The java startup? Tried choosing vista under compatibility for that file (XP wasn't an option), but it didn't help.

Also, I thought the progress explorer was an MMC snapin,

Thanks,
Brian.

Sent: Tue 9/14/2010 12:07 PM
Subject: [Vantage] Re: 905 installation - Admin workstation vs. server

If you load a test server on Windows 7 64bit, you can set the progress explorer to run compatible with Windows XP - works great

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> , "Vantage Email" <vantageemail@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> Brian Roberts
>
>
> Ground Effects Ltd
>
> broberts@...
>
>
>
>
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> on behalf of greg.middleton11
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>