Are Epicor Widgets Broken? šŸ¤

And Haso, I havenā€™t come across anything that needs the ā€œBefore Imageā€ yet.

Iā€™d like to experience this.

What business object method would you suggest I use to experience this?

Was RowMod an Epicor idea? Doesnā€™t ADO .Net DataSets use RowState? Canā€™t we use RowState now too? :thinking:

2 Likes

Wait there is moreā€¦

If you use a condition such as if abc changed from x to yā€¦ then the next condition canā€™t do it anymoreā€¦ Epicor will strip the RowMod ā€œā€ (blank) out - by filtering it out.

Itā€™s @jgiese.wci favorite by design feature :wink:

1 Like

When you have to use Custom Code just for RowMod or the following BO doesnt work :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I do have a custom code widget to set it to U if I recall correctly :rofl:

I donā€™t know what you are talking about.

1 Like

I see we have a Update Table By Query fan :smiley: yikes :slight_smile:

Yes hahaha, but itā€™s updating the dataset variable in the BPM, is that poor processing Haso?

This was one of the first times I tried tracing and doing a widget based replication of the trace.

It works but the code it generates is definitely slow. Wish they could just fix Set Field :slight_smile: Until then Iā€™ll keep using Custom Code (on prem).

1 Like

Yeah, maybe that is the bug (design feature) that you were pointing out and thatā€™s why I had to do the update by table widget over and over.

Haso I was trying anything to get the RowMod to stick and this finally worked so I donā€™t know what to say.

Man, even I gave up on widgets for the RowMod, and I am Mr. Anti-code. Itā€™s actually EASIER to read

MyDataset.LaborDtl[0].RowMod= "U";

than it is to set up and troubleshoot the fill table widget.

2 Likes

Yeah I just was trying my hardest to not custom code.

1 Like

Just to be clear, youā€™re replacing all of the those RowMod updates with a single Custom Code block or are we just swapping out Update by Query for a Code Block? :thinking:

(Except for the poor old MT users, code blocks work in Public Cloud or Single Tenant. :wink: )

1 Like

I get it but I donā€™t like it lol! Oh well Enable Post Process for the win.

Honestly, Iā€™m an uneducated script kiddie and it wasnā€™t a big deal to go from ā€œVBA for dummiesā€ to ā€œC# for dummiesā€. Okay, without this forum Iā€™d have been dead but frankly, so would Epicor themselves.

Itā€™s been tough to learn the principles and there are some gotchas but they could strip the widgets from the codebase tomorrow and weā€™d be fine. They really just make for impressive sales presentations to show managers who love flowcharts.

With Efx itā€™s even better, once you realize that @SAD is right - theyā€™re never going to really document everything.

Speaking of flowcharts, one of the best things about c# is that managers think itā€™s terrifying - so before you start solving, you can more or less force them to actually map their processes and understand what theyā€™re trying to change. This is an ongoing battle but easier with nothing visual to show them :grin:

1 Like

I donā€™t know man, I think the closer Epicor can get to no/low code customization, the better they are going to sit in the marketplace. The ultimate goal of no/low code is to bring the technology closer to the unwashed masses.

This benefits the technical people by not bottlenecking the entire process into their to-do list. A tool to visually configure and orchestrate the business process automation is worth more than a bunch of complex code that only a developer can read and maintain. This is coming from someone who is indeed a developer and a manager.

Itā€™s arguably more wise to use ones communication skills to garner understanding and implement successful technology (independent of a specific tool) across the organization rather than intimidate with the use of said tools. Complexity and skill in making a solution isnā€™t what makes it a good one; only in what it does for the business matters.
I would like of course to see every business process documented in a flowchart. Maybe someday :wink:

4 Likes

I do like what youā€™re saying overall, but I also think well written clean code is easier to read and maintain than widgets. With widgets, especially if youā€™re doing something complex, you are constantly clicking in and out of different expression editors and can only see one thing at a time. You have to hold so much in your working memory, itā€™s a nightmare. With custom code, everything is right there in front of you on one screen (ideally).

4 Likes

almost sounds like a widget problem more than anything :wink:

Agreed, more than a couple widgets rapidly becomes a nightmare. If you can read and write code, code is vastly simpler. I think that teaching users to code is a simpler problem than developing a widget language that is anywhere near as expressive as code.

3 Likes