BAQ Report Designer Parameter

So I created a BAQ with 2 parameter. One is JobNum and the other an input Parameter. When the user type in the JobNum and the Input Parameter, it puts the input static text in the BAQ output. This is working as expected.

I then went to BAQ Report Designer and create a report. I know I can add filter in the Report Designer. However, how do I get my JobNum and Input Parameter there? If I use the filter option, I can only filter it by JobNum, but my Input Parameter will not work. Any ideas how I can get around this?

You are probably going to have to post your BAQ. From what I read you are putting an input parameter in to make a calculated field and filter by the same thing? That doesn’t make sense.

Sorry, I’ll explain and post my BAQ.

I created a parameter called JobNum. This is so that the user can pull the job with operations. I then created a 2nd parameter for input with static text called SerialNo I want showing up in my BAQ output.

Once I created the BAQ, I went and create the BAQ Report Designer. Question is how can I have the JobNum and SerialNo Input Parameter available. I know from the BAQ Report Designer, I can create filter, but I still need my Input Parameter. Attached is my BAQ below.

JobTrace.baq (27.6 KB)

Oh , so you don’t want to filter by that, you just need to input it, and your having trouble. I haven’t done many BAQ reports so I don’t know the answer to that off the top of my head. My first thought would be to actually record the serial number in the database somewhere first, then pull the serial number, but I don’t know of that would work.

Second thought is, you might be able to create a BPM form that makes a pop-up when you run the BAQ. I’d have to play around with that to see if I could get it to work though.

A couple ideas anyways.

Thanks for the ideas Brandon. That’s a thought with putting the serial in the system and pulling it. However, the users running this report will have limited access to Epicor other than some reports and trackers.

I will keep playing and see if there’s anything else that can be done. Hopefully someone that has done this before can shed some lights. It seems you can get the parameters to work with the BAQ, but not sure how to get it to work with BAQ Report Designer.

Another thought, is it possible to customized the report print screen to have textbox that from C# can be linked to the BAQ parameter? I had never done this before, but just wondering if this is possible.

I haven’t done it either , but I know to have a text box that feeds a parameter, you will have to call a dynamicqueryadapter and handle the parameters through that , which would be a huge pain working with the report. I do think it could be possible to tie a field to a BPM data field or a callcontext parameter, and make a BPM on your baq that pulls that field and changes the value of your calculated field on getnew , since you aren’t doing anything with your input parameter other than filling it in. I would have to click around to see of I could get it to work though. I’ve done the BPM on a BAQ, but I haven’t tied it to a UI field though, as I wasn’t passing the value in that way.

Yeah even a pop is fine. At this point, I just want a way for the user to be able to input in the data. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Some steps in this post are not required. See Post 14 for an update

Try using another option field on the BAQ Report Designer for your input param, but with NotEquals. This will ignore this value when selecting the records. And you can reference the value the user entered in the BAQ Report.

Here’s some picts in case that wasn’t clear…

BAQ includes a column of type text with a width at least as wide as your input text:

The BAQ Report includes an Option field using that column, but set to not equals:

The BAQ Report screen then shows an input that the user can enter anything into (anything except something that would be an exact match for the field you’re piggy backing on to):

In the SSRS Builder: Reference Option2 (in the BAQReportParams dataset)

The report then shows that text that was entered.

EDIT: Some important notes:

• You don’t need the BAQ parameters.
  • You can still do “calculations” on the input value like you would have in the BAQ
  • Again, make sure the user entered value will never match the field you’re piggy backing on to. Especially if that field may be blank.
  • The field you’re piggy backing onto can still be used in the report
7 Likes

Sweet. Thank you!! I will test that out.

Thanks so much Calvin. Didn’t know that was possible.

Another question with BAQ Report Designer. When I go back to my BAQ and add a field or table, it looks like I have to recreate the BAQ report all over for these new fields to show. You have any recommendation how to proceed with new tables/fields without having to recreate the SSRS report? Does it resort to having to work with RDD if I want to add additional tables after the report is already created?

Looks like I can just add to the BAQ and manually add the field to the SSRS report. Seems to be working.

Two options for updating the dataset in a SSRS report when the BAQ is updated:

1. Open the SSRS report and manually add the fields to the dataset

- OR -

1. Open Report Style and load the BAQ Report ID. Then go to the Style Details tab and click the Sync Dataset button

WARNING!!!

I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST USING THE SYNC DATASET BUTTON WITH REPORTS THAT USE AN RDD !!!

It will totally restructure the datasets in the report. I only ever use #2 for BAQ Reports, and always use #1 for RDD based reports.

1 Like

My original suggestion said to add a text field that you won’t use to the BAQ and add an Option field for that in the BAQ Report Designer. This is unnecessary.

You don’t have to add a field to the BAQ. Just use one of the ReportParam_xxxxx fields for the option. The Compare Operator doesn’t mater as it’s not actually affecting the BAQ.

Reference this in the SSRS report as
=First(Fields!Character01.Value, "BAQReportParameter")

1 Like

You can leave the parameter in BAQ also. When the the report is run there will be a pop up asking for the parameter.

Vinay Kamboj

1 Like

Thanks.

As for leaving the Parameter in the BAQ, it never prompt me with the pop up. It just throws an error that a parameter is required in System Monitor.

You will have to create a parameter in the baq report and pass it to the baq parameter, I think.

Or it can be an option on the baq report and not on the baq.

Vinay Kamboj