Complex UBAQ gracelessly fails after 10.2.700 >> 2022.1 Upgrade

We have a relatively complex UBAQ that we’ve been running daily for almost 2 years, first in 10.2.100 and then in 10.2.700. It has a long list of inner subqueries and in isolation, each seems to work.

Mostly, everything else in the upgrade works, with a few bugs I’ve had to solve but nothing serious.

Anyone come across this before?

• Its “PseudoSQL” pasted into SSMS runs flawlessly in half a second or so.

• Syntax checker returns happiness

• It has two directives, both calling a code widget. BOth have been disabled for testing and that makes no change.

• There are some UD fields with permission settings, so a warning about those fields is normal and unchanged

• Running “Get List” causes the buttons to grey out; the status bar proclaims “Executing Query” for an instant, and then goes blank; the field permission warning opens; upon closing the warning, nothing else changes until eventually the query times out.

• If I unset “Updatable” and run “Test” instead, the only difference appears to be that upon clearing the field permission warning the status bar keeps showing “Executing Query” until the query times out.

• I’ve tried increasing the time limit very high; nothing changes except the dely before failing.

I think there is a way to force it to regenerate a query execution plan, which I would try first.

2 Likes

Did you try the QueryOldCompanySecurity setting? I had some BAQs with similar problems after upgrading to 2021.2 and that fixed it.

In the BAQ, Actions > Execution Settings, then Add New
Under Setting Value, type True
Paste QueryOldCompanySecurity into Setting Name
Change setting value to True again
Check “Persist on Query” and save

1 Like

I tried to get the query execution plan; is that the same thing?

It justs acts like it’s attempting to execute and then times out.

Or is forcing regeneration something else?

No its a setting in the BAQ - you have to add it under Execution settings, I put the step by step in the previous reply because its kind of quirky to get it to stick properly.

Strange, Poor BAQ Performance? - ERP 10 - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)

Check this out…may or may not be applicable but has smarter people than me with things to say

Oh sorry - I was replying to Aaron about forcing to regenerate the execution plan. I hadn’t got to your suggestion yet!

1 Like

No change - setting is persistent, but behaviour is unchanged

it is the common lot…

the 1 Option(Recompile) setting didn’t change anything; I’m running the statistics updates.

Statistics updates didn’t change anything…

Double check your relationship keys. I found I needed to modify a few after that jump.

1 Like

what would I be looking for?

Unfortunately a needle in a hay-stack. I just start deleting tables until it works and go from there.

We had to check table relationships. Some were manually entered and some of those had to be re-entered manually.

2 Likes

So basically no change, but rebuild from scratch?

Unfortunately it seems only the top-level query doesn’t work.

I wouldn’t start from scratch. Copy the query and delete one table at a time until it responds appropriately then start focusing in on that specifically.

4 Likes

You can write final SQL statement into the server log and go from there
Also QueryOldCompanySecurity now have different name, as they show better result some time.
Need to search for name, but something “alternate” company security…

So, interesting. I can isolate the subqueries by setting the “TopLevel” query to “InnerSubQuery” and then setting the subquery I want to “TopLevel”.

All of them work. I’m documenting them here in the hopes someone will spot something that’s known to not work, and because I’ll know where to find it later…

I rebuilt the TopLevel query with no fields and started adding them one at a time, and found one that fails. It’s a member of a subquery “PartList” though, and works fine in there. In “PartList”, it looks like this:

case
  when TimePhase.Calculated_MinOnHandBeforeNextTO < 0.0 then
  -1.0 * TimePhase.Calculated_MinOnHandBeforeNextTO
  else 0.0
 end

And “TimePhase” also runs fine in isolation. The field it’s providing looks like this in its native habitat:

min(DailyTimePhase.Calculated_OnHandAtDate)

So again, not rock surgery.

That one looks like this:

OnHand + SUM(Supply - Demand) OVER (PARTITION BY PartDtl1.Plant, PartDtl1.PartNum ORDER BY PartDtl1.Plant, PartDtl1.PartNum, PartDtl1.DueDate ROWS BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING AND CURRENT ROW)

And “Supply” and “Demand” respectively:

SUM(
  CASE
    WHEN PartDtl1.RequirementFlag = 0 THEN PartDtl1.Quantity
    ELSE 0
  END
)

and

SUM(
  CASE
    WHEN PartDtl1.RequirementFlag = 1 THEN PartDtl1.Quantity 
    ELSE 0 
  END
)

I’m trying to figure out if any of the calculations we used are deprecated.

Ah yes I noticed another one in there, but didn’t try it in case it was touchy. Many thanks!

Sorry for my ignorance - how do you do that? I’m not getting anything in the server log until I kill the execution, and then just a “it’s dead, Jim” error, or something like that.

But sadly, still doesn’t cause a change.

2 Likes