Cost Rollup Not Adding Up... Sometimes

I swear I have re-read the instructions 50 times. But I get inconsistent results when rolling BOM costs. In this present environment, we have been desiring a cost roll every month. Our orders often times are entered many months in advance of when they are due and we’re finding that costs change considerably over that time. I’ve been attempting to record the “cost in time” when the order was written so that we can compare to the current cost at any given date in the future. The goal is to identify parts whose costs changed considerably before we produce the part. The hitch I am running into is that when I try to roll all BOMs some roll properly and others don’t. I am having a hard time finding the reason. Does anyone have any tips/tricks or troubleshooting ideas to help me understand why some BOMs rollup properly and others don’t?

Here’s my plan:

1. Load Cost Details. I don’t filter anything… just give it all to me.
  2. Cost Rollup - Consider Pull As Assembly settings = true and consider transfer part as material = true.

Help, please.

You using standard cost?

I am doing a standard cost rollup. When I say inconsistent… I can look at the subcomponent costs of a particular part and add them up and it adds up to a completely different number than what is being written to the part cost as the rolled up cost. But others it all adds up and posts correctly.

Dan,

I wish we had @Ernie or @timshuwy to comment on the Consider Pull as Assembly settings, but are you sure that’s what you want?

In other words, it doesn’t maintain their cost elements and rolls everything into the parent part.

have you tried to play around with this specific checkbox in a test environment?

1 Like

I have played but I haven’t since I learned about the setting on Site Cost Maintenance to Skip Revision Cost Rollup for Purchased parts. I have a feeling that was throwing some things off initially. I’ll play with the setting for Pull As Assembly.

I’m open to hopping on a call with you if you want to look at it together. We are rolling out standard cost here with our teams and have done a couple rolls now since being here.

I have heard from our team that does the day to day rolls/updates that they have seen what they describe as buggy issues where something doesn’t seem to roll correctly, but I have never been able to confirm or deny whether it’s user error or truly a bug.

-Utah

1 Like

I just re-ran it with the Consider Pull As Assembly unchecked and my first inspection looks like that might have done the trick. The specific BOM I was tracking rolled correctly. I’ll need to do a bit more studying of the data set to make sure things look good but it’s looking promising. Thank you. I think the combination of the Skip Purchased Revisions and Pull As Assembly = false seems to be what I was expecting.

Good Dan, yeah that flag is not super clear as to what it is doing, but if you read the job costing tech ref guide, I think it’s one of the first topics covered in the whole guide.

Ugh. I was looking for a tech ref guide but I was looking under Costing Workbench and Cost Rollup, etc. I saw Job Costing stuff and I ignored it because I’m not messing with jobs. Oh well! Lucky you showed up and helped me out. Thank you!!

One love!

Another tip for anyone who may stumble in here looking for help. If you find that you have to run the Cost Rollup multiple times in a row to get accurate costs, you may need to do this: Run the Recalculate Part Low Level Code process before trying to run the Costing Workbench. It will tell the system in which order to process part costs so that the parts that are used in other subassemblies are done before the subassemblies and so on.

1 Like

Very interesting… thank you for sharing.