DMT Part Bin mass move

We have had a re-org of the warehouse and need to mass move parts from one bin to another. No real issue using the DMT except that it does not have LotNum as an attribute that can be loaded. Some of our materials have Lot Numbers associated and we do not wish to lose these when moving to the new Bins.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Like

DMT wouldn’t allow a move of a part that is lot controlled, without a lot number.

And you’re sure that the DMT for Inv Transfer doesn’t have a column for Lot#?

It has a from and to lotnum, would loading an inventory transfer record with a from and to warehouse code and BinNum cause Epicor to actually create a new PartBin record? I supposed I could try it an see what happens on test server.

Thanks

Yes. The Inv Transfer creates PartTran records of STK-STK. It is aware of qty’s per lot.

And just an FYI - PartBin records are not persistant. They only exist when the QOH in that bin is not zero. Moving all the Qty of a bin to another will delete the PartBin record (the source or the destination bin) when it results in a QOH of zero.

For example (assuming not a lot controlled part, and nothing stopping a QOH from going negative)

1. No QOH or PartBin records for part ABC-123

2. Receipt of (50) of ABC-123 to bin A101.
    a. Total QOH of ABC-123 is 50. All in Bin A101.
    b. Partbin record for ABC-123 / A101 created.

3. Issue (50) of ABC-123 from bin B202 (even though no PartBin record exists for bin B202).
    a. Total QOH of ABC-123 is zero
    b. QOH in bin A101 is 50. Partbin record exists for ABC-123 / A101
    c. QOH of bin B202 is -50. Partbin record exists for ABC-123 / B202

4. An Inv Transfer of (50) is done from A101 to B202
    a. Total QOH of ABC-123 is still zero
    b. Partbin record for ABC-123 / A101 is deleted
    c. Partbin record for ABC-123 / B202 is deleted

Another possible workaround… you could use the Inventory Adjustment DMT function. I had to do this years (12-13 years) ago when a customer “forgot” to place all their inventory into correct bins… they imported all their parts into “defbin”. At the end of the day we created a BAQ to grab the current on-hand values of all parts. Then we matched this (Vlookup) with an export of where the parts SHOULD have been put. Now we had two spreadsheets. One with NEGATIVE adjustments taking the inventory out of stock, and a second with POSITIVE putting it back into stock with the corrected bin. (and yes, this created two adjustment transactions for each part in the GL… but it was worth it… we didnt have to manually move 1000s of parts). The entire process including creating the BAQ, making spreadsheets, and running DMT took < 30 minutes.

2 Likes

And just one addition to Tim’s suggestion, make sure the same reason code is used for the deduction from inventory, and adding it back in. That will ensure your GL trans net to zero. Also put something meaningful in the refernce field.

One last thing. I like to set the transfer date to a weekend date, as that will standout (assuming you’re not usually having parttrans on weekends) when you look at it later.

1 Like

Thanks for the help, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again, has helped. New problem:

Legacy Lot numbers

We need to transfer stock quantities with existing lot numbers into Epicor.

I can load PartBin with part and quantity

I can load PartLot with part and lot numbers

I cannot get LotNum into PartBin to link the two

In the Quantity Adjustment DMT program, there is a column for “LotNum”. if the part on that particular line is flagged as Lot Tracked, you will need to enter the lot number in that field. If the part is NOT lot tracked, leave it blank.

Thanks,

Test load with that worked.

I presume that if I need to have an expiry date on the lot I can use the Part Lot DMT to update after the Quantity Adjustment has been run.

Correct.

Make sure you run a Stock Status report both before and after to ensure your costing doesn’t change (there’s always this thing call the Law of Unintended Consequences… and just like Gravity, it’s a LAW).

Got a batch job of the t-shirts LoUC.