Edge Agent Update Notification

Edge Agent only matters in the Kinetic Interface. It allows you to print directly from the browser to your printer or to read local files.

1 Like

We’re in the middle of an upgrade to Kinetic. We’ve never heard of this Edge Agent previously so I genuinely have no idea is it something that gets installed/updated on the the terminal servers our user’s computers? We are starting to use our browsers to access Epicor now. Typically we used Parallels to connect.

It is only needed for direct printing, without it you get a PDF Preview of your reports in the browser.

4 Likes

So assuming some users would want to print directly to paper. Who needs to install this EMS? Again we are not on-premise we are a weird hosted senario.

This is installed by each Individual user on their computers (or in a Terminal Server Environment)

1 Like

Jose, does it matter for on prem using the kinetic interface?

We use the edge agent, we are on prem, do we need to do anything?

I haven’t delved into the architecture of the edge agent enough to understand how it works so this whole certificate thing has me a little confused for on prem instances.

I sense Epicor had to change certificates running the edge agent or something? Since we aren’t hosted by them I was assuming we are fine to do nothing.

But if the edge agent is reaching out to some third party besides Epicor and this affects everyone I guess I do need to do something.

In short, do on prem people using the kinetic interface have to do anything?

Yes if you have the Edge Agent you need to update it too.

1 Like

Thank Jose.

I would assume it needs to connect to epicor.com for the update, for on prem users.
I can’t imagine it needing anything else.

If that’s the case, if you are 2022.2+ then you should update the client.
If you are 2022.1- then you just need to check “Allow”.

We are on 10.2, and some of my users do use the Kinetic interface, however this Edge Agent is not something I have ever seen in my environment. I guess that is what is throwing me for a loop.

This is cert for 3-rd party application used for printing. It is updated once a year, and something needed to be changed in Edge Agent for that, afair.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, Olga.

1 Like

To be clear, the cert is being updated by that third party and both cloud and on prem agents connect to that third party? So both on prem and cloud Epicor customers are affected, is that right?

yes, both.

Hopefully this helps to clarify some of the questions, @Olga LMK if I missed something

3 Likes

well, it is service in network mode (for Saas network printing)
In local mode it is just tray application.

2 Likes

Beat you to it @Mark_Wonsil :crazy_face: Ha Ha! Just realized I read the post wrong, you were giving me credit.

Epicor purchased the QZ tray application and customized it with their branding. Any company can do this and you will see that option if you visit their (QZ) site.

Let me add a little more detail.

The Edge Agent is an Epicor component that provides several capabilities for Kinetic Browser Users - Cloud and On-Prem - and Network Printing Services for the Epicor Kinetic Cloud community.

For Browser Users the Edge Agent provides services prevented by the Browser security restrictions. It currently provides: direct to local printer; local file attachment access; Serial scale access; USB scale access.

The Edge Agent includes QZ Tray - a third party component Epicor has licensed. It is the QZ Tray component that is “overly secure” when Certificates change and it is throwing the “Accept / Block” message.
Most software will validate a Certificate and will accept a new valid Cert without requiring user interaction. The latest version of QZ Tray - being installed with the Update to the Edge Agent - will follow the standard Certificate behavior, and this should be the last time you need to update the Edge Agent due to a Certificate Update.

Kinetic 2022.2 versions of the Edge Agent will prompt you to Update the Edge Agent (new version was posted Jan 24th). Older version will get the QZ Tray “Accept / Block” prompt when the new Certificate is installed - currently scheduled for Midnight Eastern on Feb 15th.

The Edge Agent is used by several Epicor products for direct Browser Printing. Kinetic is currently the only product to use the other features.

5 Likes

Rich, this was the explanation I was looking for, I just didn’t know how to clearly ask for this:

Most software will validate a Certificate and will accept a new valid Cert without requiring user interaction. The latest version of QZ Tray - being installed with the Update to the Edge Agent - will follow the standard Certificate behavior, and this should be the last time you need to update the Edge Agent due to a Certificate Update

Thanks so much for going into that detail. Glad to know that:

this should be the last time you need to update the Edge Agent due to a Certificate Update.

1 Like