Migration Epicor 10.0.700 to 10.2.700

which is the best way to migrate from Epicor 10.0.700 to 10.2.700 someone has done it

I’ve done 10.1.600 and 10.2.100 to 10.2.700 and basically, Epicor Signature Methodology.

Get the guide from EpicWeb and read it carefully, twice.

The longer answer is roughly like this (but FOLLOW THE UPGRADE PROCEDURE from EpicWeb). This is an oversimplification but gives an overview of what you’re looking at.

I paid Epicor $25,000 USD to do this for me, and in fact they didn’t do very much at all, aside from 40 hours of Zoom calls with an excellent Epicor engineer. In reality, this was my full-time job for 5 months, and if I did it again I would ONLY buy the time with the engineer. No other value to speak of came from the arrangement. 40 hours should cost 6000-10000 at most.

Anyways, it’s about like this:

1. have a dev server

2. make sure your servers are adequate

3. install 10.2.700 on your dev servers and get it up and running with none of your data or custom stuff (a few hours)

4. use solutions to deploy all your custom objects into dev, and fix everything that breaks (anything from a couple of weeks to several months). Do a separate solution for each object type, starting with UD tables, then BAQs, then BPMs, then UI. Use all the conversion and verification tools built into Epicor, and bring specific questions to this forum (searching for answers first, of course)

5. once you have a running system, repackage all your custom stuff from dev into new solutions

6. refresh your dev database from your production environment and let all the automatic conversions run, and test your system

7. do steps 4, 5 and 6 until you don’t have any more issues and/or you start throwing furniture, depending on your tolerance for frustration

8. once you know you can confidently do 4, 5 and 6, do it one more time and then get your smartest users from each department together

9. with your smartest users, create a spreadsheet of tests that covers every step from quote to cash plus engineering and purchasing. Include things like running MRP, issuing POs, cycle counting, executing jobs, etc. Everything.

10. go through that list and test each step. For every item that has a surprise, enter an issue on an issues list.

11. repeat steps 4,5,6 and 10 until the issues are gone

12. on a night when users can be kicked out for a day, shut everything down and take a server snapshot (this assumes your on a VM - if not, someone on here can advise you on the equivalent)

13. restart everything without allowing users in

14. take a backup of your database

15. install 700 on your prod server

16. (really, REALLY follow the procedures from EpicWeb)

17. take a copy of anything in your externals folder

18. delete your production appserver in the admin console and IIS, and delete all the appserver folders

19. restore your db

20. create your production appserver

21. do steps 4,5 and 6 on production

22. before you do any transactions, take another db backup (“deploy” backup). Your assumption at this point is that everything is perfect

23. do a quote to cash test

24. if everything is good, restore your “deploy” backup and let your users back in

25. if anything’s a surprise at this point, abort go-live and restore your server snapshot.

26. go back and do 4,5,6 and 10 in dev until you’re ready to try again

2 Likes

@Jorge_Vargas Why would you only go to 2.700 and not to current? I converted our database from 10.2.400 to 11.2.200 today on my dev system and it took 3 hours. I plan on running this while I get my customizations in kinetic and it looks just like 10.2.400 to the users. Also for $3600 ish Epicor has a three pass conversion only routine by Engineers that just do data conversion all day.

My favorite free site is Epicor Upgrade Services Portal Even if you have no interest in having them do the upgrade the the report is awesome. Gives you a count on bpm, baq and grades them on how easy/hard they will be to upgrade.

2 Likes

Probably depends on the OP’s customization level, but you’re right - if you’re going to go to the trouble of upgrading, go to current. We went live May 29th, so K21 hadn’t dropped yet.

Upgrade services portal is good, but there’s a customization counting dashboard on this forum somewhere that does the same thing faster.

As for the 3-pass conversion, we used it at first but with our over 150 customizations in the end I got good at doing the conversion workbench myself. However, if it’s your first time yes, the Cirrus tool is admittedly a very painless way to do the actual conversion.

2 Likes

My conscience smote me, and I’m gonna qualify this - I also had a pretty priceless 2 hours with @aidacra learning how to put SSRS together. And a lot of the help I got on this forum came from Epicor employees. There was also a John Friend who intervened at one point when things went sour, and got everything back on track. I wouldn’t buy the package again, don’t get me wrong, but I would prepay the consulting time with either of those two or Emmanuel Corpus, another brilliant person who lives to serve. I’m still nowhere near wanting that Hydra badge.

1 Like

Just a word of caution regarding the most current version… there are some things broken that Epicor has to fix… such as a customized PartNum Context Menu breaks the “Open With” functionality on the PartNum field.

Since we’re on the SaaS cloud, we’re stuck with the bugs until Epicor gets them fixed… which they only do at their own leisure. They also broke the Stock Status report on the latest version that just got pushed out this past weekend… waiting for SaaS Cloud Technical Support to figure it out and fix it.

For those who aren’t forced through the upgrades/updates, I STRONGLY recommend not pushing yourself up to the “latest and greatest” release. Let Epicor get their act together through at least 6 or 7 patch level versions before moving up.

So, no, I don’t challenge the OP as to why they’re only pushing up as far as 10.2.700! That’s actually very sound decision making with Epicor’s current “We’ll fix it at some later date” mentality.