MRP and make-to-order

If a part is

• Non-stock = TRUE
  • Qty-Bearing = FALSE

Then “Process MRP” is grayed out and not checked. Specifically it’s because of the qty-bearing flag.

But my point is, if this is how I want the part to be - a part we do not want to stock but might still sell - then I just shot myself in the foot if I want MRP to make jobs for the part (and demand for the components).

I’ve known this in the back of my mind, but I am just now seeing the ramifications of it.

Ugh. I have hundreds of parts that I’ll have to make quantity-bearing that I did not want to.

Or am I missing something?

Interesting that Time Phase gives “suggestions” to make the part, but no actual jobs.

It may be non-stock, but you want to tack the inventory, don’t you? If you should happen to do an overrun, you would want to put it into inventory. The same would be for a good return.

Go back and turn the quantity Bearing Flag on for all manufactured parts. Should be easy with the DMT.

Charlie

1 Like

Hi Jason,

I agree with Charlie. Turn the quantity bearing back on if you need to drive demand counts with them.

Our parts are only non-quantity bearing if we truly don’t want to count them. This means we don’t want to count issuance of them, if it were manufactured we wouldn’t want to count mfr of them. These non quantity bearing parts on a bom just help us remember we need it but we do not ever get told in system to purchase it or make it because it doesn’t count. Some examples of non quantity bearing for us is paint or oils we always keep on hand and documents that get shipped with an order.

Nancy

@CTCharlie I know what you are saying, but as a rule here, no, we don’t want to track these. We should never (will never) have an overrun of any parts like this. We are (trying to be) lean and make-to-order.

@Nancy_Hoyt Sure, we have tons of non-QB parts like that. Hardware and paint, like you said. But we also don’t want inventory of expensive things we make to order also.

For some background, we build trucks, which have a bunch of smaller subassemblies. Here, in the manufacturing plant, the subassemblies are just that - done off to the side as needed and not stocked. However, our service division sells the assemblies. For them the part is QB, but for us it should be either make-direct on an order for them or a subassembly of the truck job. But either way, we (manufacturing) never want inventory of them. As a job’s subassembly that flows fine, but the orders are where I am starting to get bit. I don’t get demand for the components, which can be rare parts.

I mean, make-to-order is make-to order, not make-to-order-and-stock. I understand the desire to do that sometimes (we ourselves have some parts like that), but I don’t want to be forced into it always.

I just don’t get the logic of the system. If there is a sales order for the assembly, isn’t that enough demand? Why does it need to be quantity-bearing to actually get MRP to see it? Why is a make-direct sales order alone not enough? When would something be make-direct and you don’t need to order the components?

Typically I see suggestions for MFG items only when there is not a released revision of the method. Otherwise, we get unfirm jobs.

1 Like

Manufactured parts should always be quantity bearing. As you have seen, it interferes with the MRP and demand management.

Since you won’t generate end product extras, it should not matter whether it’s Quantity Bearing seeing as you will not receive any to stock.

What it will do is allow you to catch mistakes.

If you still don’t want to make the parts quantity bearing, you will need to manually make the jobs using the job manager or job entry.

BTW, As Mr. Spock would say “Epicor is not logical.”

Charlie

1 Like

Even if it is a phantom assembly, only to be used in other assemblies?

Why not? What harm can it do?

There’s a lot of wisdom in that. If we are erroneously ending up with quantity on-hand, then there is an underlying root cause that needs to be addressed rather than mitigated.

Yet I still resist.

It’s linked demand. Even if the part was QB, the linked supply and demand will not increase or decrease QOH. It’s independent of inventory. So why should a quantity setting kill MRP for the part?

This seems like a double standard, as far as MRP. I can accomplish what I want manually, but MRP can’t do it unless the part is (unnecessarily) quantity-bearing.

Anyhow, I can’t change the system.

Thanks for hearing me out, everyone. Looks like I’m stuck with this.

@JasonMcD are you in a multi-site environment? If you are, I would make the manufacturing site non-quantity bearing and the service site quantity bearing.

Hi Jason,
I am currently using MTS but I wanted to transform to MTO but while checking in PILOT version. I was facing same issue of not getting MRP suggestion. Did you get this worked for you?
If yes, can you please share what can be done so that I can try and implement.

@JAhuja I mean, it’s just what everyone else has said:

• If you want MRP to do ANYTHING,
  • The part must be quantity-bearing.

The end.

I think it’s a stupid rule for MTO. But I’ll never win that fight, so we just live with it.

@JasonMcD,

I have set it up as Quantity-Bearing but I still can’t see the MRP suggestion even after running MRP. I am not sure what is that happening.

Oh, well, there are a ton of things that can go wrong…

Dates are a big one. Check the date of the revision vs. the date of the RELEASE of the MTO order (not the date on the line).

I had made this list a long time ago:

Why Don't I See Demand?

• Sales Order
    • Common problems
      • There is no sales order for this
      • Ship By date is not set for that release (or is not accurate)
    • Rare problems
      • Sales Order release is not Firm (look at release tab)
      • Release is not checked as Make Direct
      • Release is closed
      • Quantity on the sales order line is zero
  • Bill of material (Engineering)
    • The part does not exist
      • Just because the part number is on the sales order does not mean it is a real part in the database yet (not in part master)
    • No revision is approved for the part
    • There is no method (use Method Tracker) for that revision of the part
    • Effective Date of a revision is later than the start date of the sales order line that needs it
      • e.g. Order line (release is for January 12 and calls for a method that is effective January 16 (even if today is January 25)
      • And I am assuming that this revision is the only approved revision. In truth, you could have multiple approved revisions, with some dated in the future and others effective now.
      • This applies to all levels of a BOM
        • It does not apply to purchased parts
    • A component is inactive
  • Individual part problems
    • Qty Bearing is unchecked on the Sites tab of the Part screen
    • Phantom BOM is checked on the Sites tab of the Part screen
    • Process MRP is unchecked for manufactured parts
    • Generate Suggestions is unchecked for purchased parts
7 Likes

Hi Jason,
I still can’t see the MRP suggestion for MTO. I can see for MTS but not for MTO. I checked everything and tired all possible parameters but still couldn’t find it.

I am not sure how do I find it now.

Thanks!

1. MTO must be marked as FIRM on the sales order release with a required date.
  2. REVISION: there either must be a valid REVISION (with an effective date in the past) that is approved, or the sales order must come from a quote with an “Engineered” flag turned on with a BOM.
  3. The part must have the MRP flag turned on in PartPlant (if it is a part on the fly, this does not apply).
  4. Most common mistake I have seen, and one that is hidden is that there might be a lower level Make Direct part (or phantom) that is not approved, or that is for a different SITE than the top MTO part.
    One quick way to test:
  5. MANUALLY create the job for the part, and manually set the demand link to the sales order.
  6. do a “Get Details” on the job… see what errors are thrown.
2 Likes

This is probably the best advice in a nutshell.

Just to be clear, the date needs to be before the job’s ReqDate, which is the sales release’s ReqDate (Ship By date) in MTO.

Point is, if the order is for the future, the rev can be future also, so long as it is before the Ship By date.