Newer OS and Newer SQL Server

Hello,

Will Vantage 8.03 function properly on Windows Server 2016?
If not, how about 2012 R2?

Secondly, will the database function on SQL Server 2016? Even if it is not “certified” I suspect it’ll work - I’m interested in other peoples experiences.

Background - We have upgraded to Epicor10 and will be migrating our legacy Vantage 8.03 system to new servers for long-term residence.

Thank you,
Andy

It will not, open edge doesn’t like anything above 2008 R2

1 Like

You can try to run the database under SQL Server 2016 with backward compatibility to SQL 2008 R2 or even earlier.

Command:
ALTER DATABASE database_name
SET COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL = { 140 | 130 | 120 | 110 | 100 | 90 }

Thank you!

Thank you! We might give it a test.

We recently updated our Pilot sever to Windows 2012R2 and there was one issue with OpenEdge where we had to change 1 registry key to get the Progress Explorer to work. Besides that it has been fine.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Java VM --> EnableJIT = 0

(In case you get the same issue)

1 Like

Awesome! That’s good news. Thanks for the heads up. If I recall, this same thing is needed on OS 2008.

How long have you guys been running on 2012R2? And, what version of Vantage and OpenEdge are you running?

Thanks,
Andy

I am pretty sure that 10.1B will NOT run in 2012 … even with the registry hack

1 Like

No, 10.1B will not run on Windows Server 2012. You need 10.2B-08 to run on 2012.

1 Like

I’m taking off my Support hat, and anything I say here should not be construed as an offical Epicor recommendation, because, it’s not. This is my experience with it because I like to try to break things to see if I can get them to work again.

The version of SQL server doesn’t matter at all when it comes to V803–at some point I was bored and was able to get E905 working on Windows2000 with a SQL 2000 instance. I wouldn’t recommend that, but, it’s possible.

The Windows version absolutely matters when it comes to using a SQL backend for V803-E905 with supported versions of OE. If you were a Progress DB, you could get it to work on Windows 2012R2 (the last version I tried), but, you can’t go higher than Windows 2008R2 with any of the OpenEdge versions that Epicor ERP used with a SQL backend.

OpenEdge 10.2B does work on later versions of Windows, but, Epicor ERP never supported/certified it.

Regarding V803 on newer than Windows 2003 servers: I seem to remember there being an issue with emails/global alerts in V803 when it was installed on Windows 2008/R2 servers. If that is something your company uses, I would test that.

2 Likes

Ok, good info everybody, I appreciate the input and the distinctions made around the versions. This has helped immeasurably.

We are not concerned about the global alerts because our Vantage system is a “legacy” system since deploying E10. However, we are upgrading ALL 2008 servers to 2012 and up. So, your responses have given me enough information to argue against keeping the “legacy” system around indefinatly, something we seem to have a problem with around here. :confused:

Anyway, thank you everyone and Cheers!
Andy

I must be doing something terribly wrong here, as I have read above that it will not work, yet we are using this now

Granted this is on our test system, but the functionality is exactly how we need it in our live environment.

Refer to @aidacra’s response above, the SQL version doesn’t matter. The issue is the version of the OS that runs open edge, and yes you can hack it to work (on some versions) but it’s unstable at best, and it is not supported.

2 Likes