SSRS Report Customization - Job Travelers

Hi,
I keep getting requests to fix our travelers so that the Job Number prints on each page. If the BOM or the operation comments are too long they go onto the next page and the header doesn’t show up because it is the middle of a text box or subreport. I have tried just putting the job number in the header next to where it says Job Traveler. This works for printing one at a time but if we print more than 1 the job number always is the first job number. I have tried copying the job number field from the report up to the header but get an error that I don’t know how to fix ----- The Value expression for the text box ‘TxtJob2’ refers directly to the field ‘JobNum’ without specifying a dataset aggregate. When the report contains multiple datasets, field references outside of a data region must be contained within aggregate functions which specify a dataset scope.**

Anyone else have to make this update?
Thanks
Melissa

Were you ever able to get this resolved or a workaround? We are looking to do the same thing too and running into the same issue.

I have not. We just have 2 traveler types. They know to use the one with the job number in the header on the parts that have the issue. I guess they just know this from printing so many they know which ones are problems and they have to print those one at a time.

How is your job traveler handling part numbers that have multiple pages where the raw material components run onto the 2nd page where there is no job number in the report section? What are you using to get the job number in the header section for all pages?

1 Like

Put a new row in the tablix at the very top outside of all of the Row Groups and put the Job Number in there. Then open up the Advanced carrot and mark that row as print on every page.

I tried and it is only printing on the first page, not on every job and assembly pages. Where do you open up the “Advanced” carrot?

1 Like

So I opened up the canned report and saw that the JobNum row group actually has no rows. So I found the top row of the tablix and did add row outside group above (it is the selected row in my screen shot below). I believe if you do this and put the job number in that row, you will be able to get it to repeat on each page. The advanced carrot I pointed at in the screen shot. As you can see the Row Groups expanded. Select the first (Static) row in the Row Groups and then in the Properties pane you will see the options. I underlined the Repeat on New Page. Set that to True and it should work. Let me know if not.

I get the error message below that all elements property for repeat must be set to false.

Sorry. Do one more add row outside group above. You should end up with a (Static) row above the JobNum row group. Put the job number in that.

You can just delete the other line you added after you add this one.

Still getting the all elements must be set to false. Can you send a screenshot of how yours looks like in preview mode when you run it to see it printing on each page?

I will have to try and find a report where I did something similar. I’ll try and do it first thing tomorrow morning.

I think the issue is that the region you’d want to repeat is inside a subreport. And from what I’ve seen, subreports aren’t aware of where they are on a page, and don’t use report headers and footers like you’d want them to.

1 Like

@cchang

Here is how you do it. And sorry for having you head down the wrong path yesterday.

Open the subreport that you want to have the Job Number repeat on (in this instance it is the raw material one). Add a text box to the top row and put the JobNum field in it (make sure it is just =Fields!JobNum.Value and not =First(Fields!JobNum.Value)). Open up Advanced Mode and click on the top most (Static) row. Change Keep With Group to After and Repeat On New Page to True.

I keep getting the error that all RepeatOnNewPage property must be set to false. Where in the report are you adding the job number in your screenshot next to the raw material components? Like @ckrusen stated above, subreports don’t use report headers.

How is this done? Does it exist in Microsoft Report Builder? Or do I need a different program?

You want to edit the subreport Travler_RawMaterialComponents

@cchang

I did it in this report. You can use headers in sub reports.

@ckrusen

Advanced Mode

1 Like

Have you tried this in the main Traveler.rdl report if this works the same way?

Yes, but you don’t want to put it in the main report as you are looking to get the job number to repeat on the subreport, correct?

1 Like